Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
because there is not enough mustard in the world

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 23 4:54 pm    Post subject: because there is not enough mustard in the world Reply with quote

answers the part of the question about cats

the turkey part is more complicated, long raised outdoors and surprised when ready is ok sometimes, industrial broiler never

odd how industrialization and marketing has made turkey the go-to mid-winter centrepiece in the uk, im certain it is not because they are wonderful to eat

rudolf or a big fish, a moo or a squeal, or just the selection of non-animal things can be a splendid feast

rudolf and a big fish is rather good

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 23 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don’t have meat in the house at all nowadays but still have Turkey and rib of beef for Christmas dinner. Done right turkeys ok.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 23 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like turkey so we have chicken. When I was a child, chicken was a Christmas only treat as it was before the days of really intensive rearing.

We usually have a joint on Sunday and if so, that meat can last us all week in various guises. The lamb we had last weekend made roast, cold, lamb in tomato sauce and a curry. The sheep was wandering around on the downs before that, the cows graze in the fields in summer and the pigs are free range.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 23 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a Thanksgiving mob scene for Thanksgiving late in November - hosted by Himself's niece and her husband, people flying in from Texas and Florida, driving in from Massachusetts, New York State, New York City, 24 people all told (easy drive for us as they also live in New Jersey about 90 minutes away) it was quietly pleasant to be just the two of us.

Christmas eve I made venison back strap with sour cherry cranberry chutney, chestnut puree, steamed Brussels sprouts. Dessert was fruitcake and chocolate coated fruitcake bonbons.

Christmas dinner was duck breast done in oven's broiler. I made a sauce of duck stock, red wine, orange juice, finely slivered orange zest with crushed juniper berries. Shoe string potatoes and asparagus. Repeat the dessert.

Delicious. Still and all, happy to be back to regular, easier meals.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 23 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a Christmas meal, but made some special shortbreads partly as a present.

Make shortbread according to your favourite recipe. I used flour, butter and granulated sugar as all the white sugar I had. Put it in the bottom of a rectangular baking tray or pyrex dish and cook for 10 mins until barely cooked. Mince some 'ready to eat' dried apricots; make them into a thick conserve if you like or add some conserve to the mixture. Spread evenly over the shortbread. Make crumble out of flour, butter and sugar. I use half the weight of butter to flour and just a bit of brown sugar, but sugar according to taste. Cover the apricot evenly an press down a bit. Cook for about 10 mins, then press down again to close any gaps. Finish cooking; total on gas mark 5 is about 20 mins. Cut into small rectangles whilst warm and leave to cool. Recut and separate into individual sections.

gz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 23 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very tasty MR!
When a recipe asks for anything finer than granulated sugar, in the past I have just given the sugar a few seconds whizz in a liquidiser...it works

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 23 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually bother. The shortbread tastes good and doesn't seem at all grainy. It was lucky I had some granulated as usually all I have is demerara and brown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive