Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
buying ethical meat- any guidance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 08 9:49 am    Post subject: buying ethical meat- any guidance? Reply with quote

Having only eaten fish and veggies for a very long time, I'm wanting to introduce a small amount of meat into my diet now (possibly can only afford to eat it once a week ie sunday dinner and leftovers as I want to only buy most ethical). However I found it quite daunting to figure out what I should eat. Are there better raised cows than others? What does traditionally reared mean? Do calf livers come from badly treated veal? What should I be looking for in a sausage?
p.s I don't have enough freezer space so no suggestions that I buy a half pig! Any other suggestions much appreciated though .

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 08 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your budget is limited buy the cheapest cuts of beef, shin makes the most fabulous stews and curries.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 08 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a farmers market near you

then you could buy a small amount from a producer you could talk to about the product?

MarkS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 08 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

define 'ethical'.

natty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 08 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
define 'ethical'.

animals that are treated well, have a good life and killed with minimal stress/distress.
free range chicken seems more obvious and there is a lot of literature on it, but cows all look like they are 'free range already'- so does that make all beef ok to eat or can they be raised in barns, intensively farmed and butchered in more stressful ways?
I'm thinking transport time is probably quite stressful so buying locally would be better?
I want to eat meat, I just want to make sure that what I buy supports those farmers who are following practices that treat their animals well.

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 08 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your local Farmer's Market? These people https://www.wickhammanor.plus.com/ sell at Rye FM and sound pretty good, though I have no personal experience of them. You could ring them and ask about how and where their animals are slaughtered.

natty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 08 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These people https://www.wickhammanor.plus.com/

Thanks Marigold, this looks great and they are really close by- just what I'm looking for.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 08 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natty wrote:
but cows all look like they are 'free range already'- so does that make all beef ok to eat or can they be raised in barns, intensively farmed and butchered in more stressful ways?

Not at all, barley beef is a common system where the animals may never go outside, particularly from dairy bred animals, and an awful lot of supermarket beef comes fromthat route (even the labelled 'Aberdeen Angus' may only be a commercial crossbred using an Angus bull.

If you're looking for ethical but don't know the origin you'll be safest with lamb- they are the greatest percentage where the 'standard' product will have been outside. However, don't buy lamb around this time of year, unless you buy hogget lamb as most new season lamb available now will have relied heavily upon concentrates to get it to slaughter weight (possibly 100% indoor reared).

The best way to buy ethical is to find someone local who sells their own meat & will be quite willing to show you how they produce it & then you can make your own decision as to wether you agree with their ethics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive