Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
chorizo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 4:05 pm    Post subject: chorizo Reply with quote

This weekend on a trip into london I went to a very nice spanish deli and bought some cooking chorizo

It was very nice sausage and I am now pondering how you make them whether it is as straightforward as a standard chorizo mix unhung and without any acidophelus(sp?) or if it is more complicated than that

I ask as it is now getting a little to warm in my house at least to hang chorizo to cure but it would be nice to have some sausages of a similar style even if they need cooking

twoscoops

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not have a drafty area outside? It is prime time for curing now, as it is very cold and a bit windy. They are as easy as any other to make, with smoked paprika, fennel seeds, red wine, garlic, and for cooking you just hang them for one week to settle. I also include pistachios or hazelnuts, and will be making more this weekend.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twoscoops wrote:
Do you not have a drafty area outside? It is prime time for curing now, as it is very cold and a bit windy. They are as easy as any other to make, with smoked paprika, fennel seeds, red wine, garlic, and for cooking you just hang them for one week to settle. I also include pistachios or hazelnuts, and will be making more this weekend.

I know they are easy to make, myself and cabd having made a couple of batches earlier in the year but the last lot cured probably a little too quickly so I would be reticent to make sausages which have to be cured again but instead fancy something similar which just needs hanging overnight then can be frozen plus I want to know what the different is if any other than the curing process

cab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd be fine in our shed, or our hall, for another wee while yet. Your garage would probably also do, you just can't us the cupboard under the stairs.

Can't help myself at the moment, can't use both hands, but mini-kiwi is up for it I'm sure. I'll have to sit and drink wine if it's in the next couple of weeks

As for a recipe for cooking chorizo, I'd be tempted to add a weebit more spice, as it won't get the chance to intensify as it cures and shrinks.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 05 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is minikiwi about tomorrow night?. I would be tempted to suggest the weekend of the 5th/6th in the evening, I am sure we can cope with you just supervising rather than actually stuffing the sausages

plus stuff I have been reading means I would be tempted to try more of a mix of sweet and spicy smoked paprika to get a stronger flavour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive