Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
deerskin finished

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 7:45 pm    Post subject: deerskin finished Reply with quote

a few pictures (i stress i am not a photographer) of what occured..

got the deerskin as fresh as i could and scraped it before submerging for 3 weeks in a solution of salt and alum as suggested by sally

the above is a photo of my equipment and the skin after the 3 week soak - most necessary is the radio as the scraping takes a while. the pole i actually fixed into mr nanny's workmate but found that too wobbly so ended up laying the skin on the stone garden bench to scrape properly

after the final scrape i washed it and hung it on the line. this proves i managed to get most of the membrane etc off. HARD WORK !! and the next is the other side. it was very wet and heavy having been washed in dog shampoo which works quite well and is fairly gentle (well the dogs aren't bald anyway)

after a good stretch and oil and dry for several days it looks like the next 2 pictures

and

for a first good shot at it i am fairly pleased.

want to try and stretch more next time but will certainly try again

thanks for your help sally

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks marvellous! Well done you

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very, very impressed. How tricky was it to remove the membrane without scraping right through the skin?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look very good Nanny.

Nanny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 7:28 am    Post subject: deerskin Reply with quote

the scrapin was the hardest part i have to say

it was very fresh and the first scrape was with the paint scraper, my bread knife and my bestest kitchen knife ( ) and took probably the better part of an hour. don't knowif it should, it could be that i will get quicker don't know. then after it came out of the pickle, and i laid it on the stone garden bench i gave it another good go with the rounded scraper that you do window frames with that goes with my heat gun. this was possibly less time. i didn't really time it, can only go by what was on the radio.

if you're outside in the nice weather it doesn't seem to matter about the time...........doing it in the winter might be another thing...

cab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanny, that looks excellent. What do you plan to do with it?

Nanny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 8:29 am    Post subject: deerskin Reply with quote

don't know...sally - what do you do with yours?

at the moment it is just being used as a throw on the back of one of the chairs in the living room though i have to remove it and put it up when we come to work as greyhound one is far too interested for his own good.

my husband wants me to make him some sort of jerkin but i believe i am correct in saying that he can't get this type of tawing very wet so i suppose i will have to look at another type of proper tanning with natural products. i believe you can use eggs and olive oil though i will have to do more research...there is a site called braintan.com that i am watching

i want to do more with this process as well to build up my confidence

then who knows - the sky (and a pair of moccasins) may be my limit...

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Nanny, thanks for the piccies

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 05 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about tool holders, for carrying knives, tools, etc, around the belt line?

Nanny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 05 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as it was my firstest deerskin ever, i am loathe to cut this one up and i have discovered that in really humid weather, it gets damp like the excess salt in it is attracting the water in the air....

thinking about i i would imagine that i could rinse it a bit more and then perhaps restretch now that mr nanny has made me a frame, then all i would need to do is trim the holes off or something.....

mind you, a fur billhook holster woudl certainly cut quite a dash amongst the rest of the lumberjacks, madman..........

Lloyd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 05 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's my furry billyholster comin on?

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 05 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw this the first time round - Nanny, what did you do with it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive