Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
environmental protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 21 7:33 am    Post subject: environmental protection Reply with quote

fishy

anecdote states that yesterday morning there was quite a noticeable raw un-macerated raw sewage load in the ouse at water end bridge

no excuses from sudden rain etc

no samples but i did several months as a semi-pro sampler in a river system and i know shit when i see it, especially in water i know well

by eyeball that bit of river has gone from between 1 and 2 for pollution to between 4 and 5

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 21 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly one error in that report. If you get a waste transfer certificate from the person taking the rubbish with their/co. name, waste transfer licence number and registration number of the vehicle, you cannot be prosecuted as you believed them to be legitimate and did all you could to check they were. They then also become guilty of fraud. Still best to check up before having waste dumped that they have a proper licence, even if it is the name of their pet goldfish.

Locally, our local authority clears up fly tipping as soon as possible as they believe that if they don't more will get added to the pile. Must say they are pretty good, but other local authorities round here aren't sadly. Comes down to lack of money I would suggest.

Our sewage company (our water is supplied by another company) got a massive fine just before the law was eased for polluting the sea off several places on the south coast. Suppose they can get away with it now. Deregulation does seem to be to the detriment of all.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 21 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went on a walk near Catrine by the river Ayr....

One of a few pipes. Foam in the river and...where the pipes came from?

Sewage works...

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 21 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sort of thing needs publicity, most folk like a river rather than a sewer

there are no excuses, in the uk we did have it, sort of, under control and getting better

this is cannot punish do not care give me money until it runs out

appropriate home visits do not seem excessive

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 21 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps , i had a south west water hissyfit a while back, the wetsuit sas(not the troopers) used the data, i played tourist to the media but a delivery of the "offence" to the boardroom denizens would have been more fun

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 21 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were narrow boating for our holidays, we could tell when we were near a sewage discharge because there was a 'sweet' smell. Think it was as fully treated as possible, but still must have been putting something into the water. Not sure what they smell like these days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive