Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
good news story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 20 2:35 pm    Post subject: good news story Reply with quote

about costa rica

we all need more of that sort of thing, i rather like the guerilla botanists doing chalk ID on urban "weeds"

some of my best plants are weeds

tis a bit early for the rare breeds dandelions but the herb robert is doing well
wiki but pretty close
"Studies and Uses

Herb Robert has been studied in multiple papers, one of which summarizes its properties [8] by: "the confirmation of the antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-hyperglycaemic and cytotoxic activities of Geranium Robertianum, closely related to the high content of phenolic compounds, has come to corroborate to some extent the recognized beneficial proprieties of this medicinal plant."

A study on rats [9] found that oral administration of leaf decoctions over a period of four weeks lowered the plasma glucose levels in diabetic rats. The work in [10] finds that herb Robert stem extract has strong scavenging effects and that its "anti-inflammatory activity may partially result from its anti-radical capacities towards nitric oxide".

Herb Robert has been used in the folk medicine of several countries, including as a remedy for diarrhea, to improve functioning of the liver and gallbladder,[11] for toothache and nosebleeds,[12] and as a vulnerary (used for or useful in healing wounds).[13] The name has been explained as a reference to abbot and herbalist Robert of Molesme. Freshly picked leaves have an odor resembling burning tires when crushed, and if they are rubbed on the body the smell is said to repel mosquitoes.[13]

The active ingredients are tannins, a bitter compound called geraniin, and essential oils.

It was carried to attract good luck, and due to its analogical association with storks, to enhance fertility"

plenty of that has been seeded about

and i have some ace shepherds purse(good wound herb for fresh wounds) this year which is seeding nicely for wider distribution

even if you cant do the big stuff the little stuff all adds up.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 20 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good article. Sadly, with government targets, the only way some cities with limited land can increase the number of houses is to build on any small areas of green left. In other areas, countryside is swallowed up to provide more houses and roads.

Herb Robert may have all those properties, but I wish it wouldn't try to take over my vegetable garden. I have to week loads of it out.

On the other hand, we have lots of cowslips in the lawn at the moment, so win on some and lose on others.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 20 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one woman's weeds are another man's medicine chest

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 20 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"if you dont like those weeds,I have others" Groucho ecologist Marx

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 20 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive