Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
gravadlax, domestic method, hi mods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 21 8:32 pm    Post subject: gravadlax, domestic method, hi mods Reply with quote

gravadlax, domestic method

2 weeks is perfect in a fridge at 4 C(it does get opened a lot and the odd warm thing goes in, but it tries for and mostly manages 4 C)

one week to ouze, one week to reabsorb

a vac pack machine and bags are very useful, slurped to tight but no liquid in the machine then seal.
no air is important, it can be done with wrapping in bags or clingfilm (or bark , sorry wrong recipe)but a sous vide standard bag and a vacpac machine is ace, reduces spills in the fridge as well

ok tech prep over, now to fish

a large fish, salmon is ideal but big sea trout are not bad
ie a firm flesh, high fat, tasty sort of thing, fish of colour, that colour being pinkish is a good guide

fish should be pre rigor mortis as best, but a well handled fish (ie well chilled from demise to arrival, a couple of days like that will have only just relaxed from its delayed and extended and disrupted rigor) that is ok.
the time to start "cooking"is either before(just stopped flapping) or just after rigor, during is not so good

recipe time

large fish, clean it, bone it* into 2 sides, pay attention to fins etc,
separate into lengthways halves
skin side down, sharp blade, skin it with a good style.

*put all the bits in a pan with enough best water to double cover and a few fish style pot herbs, peppercorns etc for stock for other things later, it freezes ok

at that point you might have 2 sides of fish or some largish lumps either is ok then....
long nose pliers, fingers, eyes etc
remove any random bones

the seasoning

this can be done to many recipies i will go for a scandi basic, with no scales sorry

spread fish on a flat surface
cover surface in honey, enough to cover but not a thick layer(brown sugar works but i am going old style here)
shake on enough coarse sea salt that you can see it on the surface of the honey
shake on enough dried dill leaves to make it more green than not(quite a lot, tis important re moisture)
sprinkle mustard seed, i use quite a bit

chose lumps that match or one half face to face with its other half and put the two treated sides together

collect the spare sprinkles onto the outsides while manipulating them

more salt on the outsides, enough to show but not a thick layer*

* how much salt depends on how thick the flesh is but with owt up to a couple of inches enough to see as a covering is ok, some folk over salt, the salt is only part of the process.

seal it tight, pop it in a cold place with something sitting on it, even in vacpac or wrapped and bagged a pressing weight makes it far better

Patience

in a fridge it will get damper for a week and then drier for a week, that is good

debag it, slice as with smoked salmon eat etc

the other bags freeze(doing a big un in parts makes sense domestically)

if frozen when ready, in the bag, it will be fine for a long time if thawed slowly in the fridge

please could this go into the recipes database as it is safe and very yummy for stored raw fish

i seem to have failed with a direct approach

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 21 1:45 pm    Post subject: Gravadlax, domestic method Reply with quote

gravadlax, domestic method

2 weeks is perfect in a fridge at 4 C(it does get opened a lot and the odd warm thing goes in, but it tries for and mostly manages 4 C)

one week to ouze, one week to reabsorb

a vac pack machine and bags are very useful, slurped to tight but no liquid in the machine then seal.
no air is important, it can be done with wrapping in bags or clingfilm (or bark , sorry wrong recipe)but a sous vide standard bag and a vacpac machine is ace, reduces spills in the fridge as well

ok tech prep over, now to fish

a large fish, salmon is ideal but big sea trout are not bad
ie a firm flesh, high fat, tasty sort of thing, fish of colour, that colour being pinkish is a good guide

fish should be pre rigor mortis as best, but a well handled fish (ie well chilled from demise to arrival, a couple of days like that will have only just relaxed from its delayed and extended and disrupted rigor) that is ok.
the time to start "cooking"is either before(just stopped flapping) or just after rigor, during is not so good

recipe time

large fish, clean it, bone it* into 2 sides, pay attention to fins etc,
separate into lengthways halves
skin side down, sharp blade, skin it with a good style.

*put all the bits in a pan with enough best water to double cover and a few fish style pot herbs, peppercorns etc for stock for other things later, it freezes ok

at that point you might have 2 sides of fish or some largish lumps either is ok then....
long nose pliers, fingers, eyes etc
remove any random bones

the seasoning

this can be done to many recipies i will go for a scandi basic, with no scales sorry

spread fish on a flat surface
cover surface in honey, enough to cover but not a thick layer(brown sugar works but i am going old style here)
shake on enough coarse sea salt that you can see it on the surface of the honey
shake on enough dried dill leaves to make it more green than not(quite a lot, tis important re moisture)
sprinkle mustard seed, i use quite a bit

chose lumps that match or one half face to face with its other half and put the two treated sides together

collect the spare sprinkles onto the outsides while manipulating them

more salt on the outsides, enough to show but not a thick layer*

* how much salt depends on how thick the flesh is but with owt up to a couple of inches enough to see as a covering is ok, some folk over salt, the salt is only part of the process.

seal it tight, pop it in a cold place with something sitting on it, even in vacpac or wrapped and bagged a pressing weight makes it far better

Patience

in a fridge it will get damper for a week and then drier for a week, that is good

debag it, slice as with smoked salmon eat etc

the other bags freeze(doing a big un in parts makes sense domestically)

if frozen when ready, in the bag, it will be fine for a long time if thawed slowly in the fridge

please could this go into the recipes database as it is safe and very yummy for stored raw fish

i seem to have failed with a direct approach to recipe additions

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 21 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 21 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, tis good advice and a sort of recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive