Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
mobile fox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 21 7:23 am    Post subject: mobile fox Reply with quote

very mobile

i also presents a route from urp to the americas i had not considered for humans
by big canoe along the edge of atlantic ice or walk into alaska from russia have been suggested
if a fox can make it so could a small tribe with dogs and bags of blubber and pemmican

a rather wow journey though

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 21 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that people migrated that way, although humans aren't built to survive such cold temperatures as arctic foxes. However they are very adaptable, and the Inuits so seem to survive in ways that people of more temperate climes would find impossible.

Amazing journey for such a small animal.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 21 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minus 27C(by thermometer) and far colder by feel and include nasty winds etc are survivable with food, fuel to melt water and decent clothing/portable shelter or snow hole

a few of my fingers still give me grief from frostbite injuries decades ago but that would be a small price for a new continent

a few months on the ice, i recon my chums might have managed that if we had been motivated to try it

flatish sea ice or high mountains, the weather and difficulties are similar

the fox journey is not that different to Amundsen's slither to the pole in distance, for some of it the ice movement helps and as emigration you don't need to retread your tracks the other way when you get there

paleo kit is pretty good compared to modern stuff for extreme cold, even at minus 20C many plastic fittings crack easily, metal welds itself to a hand(dont ask the best way to free that ) and apart from fat i cannot think of a decent super cold fuel that could be "manhauled" for a long journey

re fuel, some left over bear lunch could melt gallons of snow for a nice cuppa

paleo+chilly is not just kit, much of the kit is the environment or bits of it, it is knowing how to use that which matters

now i want to try the use a snow "waterfall" to melt and filter snow to make tepid clean water with a twist of moss and a bit of lard and a spark again

i am too old and shabby for that, unless i am wrapped in furs on a sled giving bad advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive