links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
moving abroad
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 4:44 pm    Post subject: moving abroad Reply with quote

We presently live in Pembrokeshire but wet weather getting partner down. I'm looking for any advice on re-locating abroad-not sure which country.
We have no children - partner is a nurse. We have no other languages.
Can anyone make a recommedation on good places to live-not too expensive-all comments appreciated-thanks

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dry part of Canada ?
Australia ?

Emuchops

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partner would prefer Europe although Im not bothered---we really do not have a clue and I do not know where to start. Neither of us has any particular knowledge of any area outside of UK..I thought partner being a nurse may may things easierbut I dont know where to start in my research-any advice much appreciated.

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France is always a good start. My family have all gradually migrated out there over the last 30 years and love it. My brothers are both self-employed and the middle one has made all his money by working in the markets, saving, then buying property to do up into holiday gites.

MarkS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of Europe is difficult if you dont speak the local language. Even Holland is getting tricky.

Scandinavia ? But not much cop if you want nice weather.

Is Ireland any drier than Wales ?

We looked at New Zealand and Canada, although we ended up staying in the uk (and currently looking for a house with land in france) depends what you want though.

What do you do ? How easy is it for you to work elsewhere? What interests?

suomi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Mark, what was your comment about Scandanavia!! not much cop if you want good weather....!!! well I will stand up for Scandanavia, we are living in Finland and if you like weather extremes then this is your place.our summer was fab around 28oc for 3 months, a lovely autumn followed by a real winter.
WE have been here since may 2006 and love it... we are learning Finnish, granted not the most easy of languages..... but we have settled in really well and made some wonderful contacts.
We have a small house and half a hectare of land, now hoping to progress to something a little bigger, and we are growing all our own veg and keeping animals. Oh and its so much cheaper than the uk to buy property.
We love it here..
Maybe you need a visit welcome any time

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
Scandinavia ? But not much cop if you want nice weather.

The wife's got a cousin that lives in Finland, loves it there. Hungary's supposed to be great (I believe Mochyn's son lives there), Poland should be cheap as chips and the people are nice. My personal favourite is the North of Portugal (north of Oporto)

MarkS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I did once do some work in Helsinki for Op Kottipanki Oy (if thats spelt anything like right), and yes I loved it. But a bit dark in the winter ? Would that be fair?
I was taking it that the op wanted a warmer climate. Scandinavia scores because everyone speaks better english than I do.

I would love to go back. I really liked it.

@Calli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:

Is Ireland any drier than Wales ?

No it's not! But it seems milder than N wales was. Also the language is the same ( Just about ) and the countryside is stunning. You can still find renovation projects allover and the people are great. No council tax either

We moved form N Wales about 5 yrs ago and would never go back.

suomi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mark its definitly fair to say its pretty dark in the winter! the days tend to be short.... however all is not lost as because of the snow it feels much brighter and remember the snow here is DRY.... not slushy and grey like uk snow....
so welcome..... really if anyone would like a visit to Finland just PM me, we would love to have people with willing hands......

Emuchops

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 07 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for all your comments--this is really helpful. Excuse my ignorance but are we just "allowed" to go and live permanently in another EU country?

I currently work as an advice worker with a charity but i can turn my hand to most jobs. Im sure there used to be some sort of scheme to help qualified nurses to relocate abroad...

We enjoy the great outdors and have 4 dogs,, but finding the dreadfully wet Pembrokeshire weather quite restrictive-partner getting quite depressed by it all and we only moved here 2.5 yrs ago(from the west midlands-I wanted to live by sea)

Behemoth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 07 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but investigate the tax and social security situation. Also give serious consideration to whether you may return or not, you may find in a few years that you can't afford to.

MarkS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 07 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that New Zealand is desperate for UK medical staff. At one point they were paying for people to go over and have a look. check the back of the bmj and I presume the nursing times.
Cheap living, nice countryside, great for outdoors types - esp south island.
On the down side - bit of a cultural desert and the time zone really is -40 years (may as well see how many countries I can insult in one thread )

I think with any move abroad you need to get an understanding of what is going to happen as you get older and need support. As a gross generalisation countries with higher taxes have better support systems.

suomi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 07 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with you Mark,New Zeland is fantastic..especially the south island, and yes it does feel like its 40 years behind the uk, which is wonderful much more relaxed. Although we felt that its turning into a very large play ground!! hope that doesnt sound too negative!!!
you are right here in Finland we pay high taxes but in return you have a very comprehensive welfare system that really seems to work, no problem getting a dentist here....
there are allways pros and cons where ever you are, so dont go in with your eyes shut, I think lots of research before any desicion is made..... or of course do what we did.... jump straight in.... but we have NO regrets

pricey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 07 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

My personal favourite is the North of Portugal (north of Oporto)

Ah tiz mine as well, though we have bought just below.

Have a look at Portugal, the people are very friendly, and the country is just to die for.

We have a little place in Pedrogao Grande, which we are going to convert.

Will try and post some links and forums for you to browse through.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive