Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
my little forest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 21 1:37 pm    Post subject: my little forest Reply with quote

since about 1970 i have been creating a mixed woodland of about 7 acres of soil but about 3 on a map if seen from above on the north east side of a steep pennine clough

i have not done footfall for a couple of years although i have eyeballed it from vantage points

a late spring hammock and camera mission beckons, i want to find out what lives in it as well as which of the 30 or so strains of oak are thriving and how the other 50 or so tree species are getting on

i might take a subtle saw to open up a few bits and to precull some stuff that is too tight(i wont be around in 50 years when it is too late)

there are a couple of larches of almost commercial size which need to go and a few random rhododendrons are often invasive(there are a few big uns in good places but littles that will grow need attending to)

from bracken burnt off most years, patches of jap knot weed and plenty of erosion to forest, with a hidden cherry orchard, views, retained bilberry bushes and a wide mix of trees is fun

if i record it now, it might get properly looked after later, tis land with a permanent covenant on it but no management apart from me so far

i know the locals have noticed the 50 yrs of tree increase but most have no idea it was done rather than just happened.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 21 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. Can you let us know which oaks and other species are doing well please?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 21 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, we've left quite a few areas to regenerate naturally. Oaks pop up everywhere, hornbeams less so

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 21 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds lovely DPack and how exciting as to what you might discover after not being there for a couple of years.

Looking forward to you reporting back and with pictures please?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 21 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahir, oak will grow well from grassland if the acorns are there from surrounding trees. I don't know much about hornbeam as we only have one planted one, but with us beech, hazel, oak, whitebeam, hawthorn and others seem to come up in any clear area of woods.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive