Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
nuke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 23 4:06 pm    Post subject: nuke Reply with quote

one

two

three is anecdote, one of my chemistry teachers worked at sellafield, throwing a 10 kg block of sodium, that had been forgotten in a lab cupboard, into one of the "ponds" was A rather exciting, and B gave him more than a lifetime dose allowance, and C which required a change of career, and D might have explained why he was known as itchy

there is a long history of such things

THORP that one is quite tame as it is in a big box and can be left til later

the ponds are special, they will probably fail in a few years as the concrete is elderly, but it will need 100 yrs to empty the very random and dangeroos lumps out at the current rate

the stored stuff is monstrous dangeroos

PS my guess the emergency/under attack plan is along the lines of" better eat lunch now, not much else you can do in your last few minutes"

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 23 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're good at this sort of thing (not)

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 23 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B30 is a mixed soup of liquid and solid horrors, anything hot and unwanted was thrown in during the early days, the records are absent
the swarf store is probably more predictable and perhaps can be dealt with fairly quickly

B30 might take 100 yrs to get the stuff out and contain it as well as poss

well they said 100yrs about ten yrs ago, when jim al kalili got a filming pass for the beeb, they also mentioned how "tricky" it was to do it as safely as poss
iirc what was needed was vast amounts of money for tech and a lot of luck

the assorted mistakes, corruptions and mismanagements, from tube alloys to decommissioning are a major problem in trying to contain this stuff
once things got sort of quango privatized, it has been even worse for cheapest rather than super quick and as safe as it is known how to do

a stark example of legacy issues from human activities

drigg is another set of unknowns, allegedly "low level" but a very mixed bunch of things and chemistries , from old wellies to "have you seen my flask of Pu No3 aq?"
not contained in any meaningful sense considering the geology and time scales

sellafield is probably bronze medal, russia gets silver and the yanks get gold for randomly nasty legacy sites dating back to the start of nukes

im not sure what others have done with their bits and pieces, the uk and others have dropped some of it overboard, quite a few sent hot used reactor stuff to sellafield where it still is , no idea what they did with "low and medium"stuff

iirc Sellafield is containing several hundred tons of Pu from the breeder program and other sources, oddly that is "safe" for the mo, ask me in several million years if it was safe, or after a couple of 20mgt ground bursts and an air burst to waft it about
the site has always been on the MAD targetting list for the obvious reasons

i will stop before i burn the internet[/url] ED it makes a bit more sense now

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 23 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more details

if staff fake drug tests and do coke at work, what other protocols do they deliberately game?

im not surprised that folk in other countries are more than a little concerned, most here have no idea of the implications of a fairly minor accident, if the site was a no-go area(easy done) there is enough stuff that will get out over time to be planet changing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive