links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
photographing ceramics
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 21 3:06 pm    Post subject: photographing ceramics Reply with quote

might be useful

im not sure if that is the studio pots or the antiques one, both are good

i was looking for something like the antiques one, but this stuff probably applies to most smallish 3d objects

now i have to work out if bounced speedlight will serve for overhead lighting or if i need to borrow SIL's umbrella flashes(if i do it might be a bit homer with ned's lawnmower and we do not need more "clutter" )

i probably need to adapt the basics to the kit i have, but as soon as i found it i knew it made sense to apply those principles to making a wee pot look nice in a snap

for lots of small 3d stuff lighting is pretty easy, shiny curvy stuff less so

i need to record details as well as show it as a pretty and desirable thing with some stuff, in one snap is useful

gz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 21 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article.
I use a similar setup, but use natural daylight to get the correct colour.
Possibly lightbulbs which give you "daylight" balance might also do that?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 21 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. In the good old days you could do the gradation by a fairly manipulation in the darkroom, but that is easier.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 21 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Looks good. In the good old days you could do the gradation by a fairly manipulation in the darkroom, but that is easier.

with a decent camera and photoshop it is complicated but far easier to get the exact profiles for the required result.

if the required result is "natural" with "true"colour adjust stuff is fairly easy

oops i was thinking speedlight bounce yesterday, i woke up thinking "i have a ring light that has assorted colour balance and intensity clamped to my work bench

with that and a "designated as white" test card it should be fairly easy

imho the colour test gadget is ace if the tasks and budget need it, i recon i will get by with what i have

when i have snapped these i will report back

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 21 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the camera has capabilities, as does editing in raw

spose the next consideration when i have those sorted is "other peoples screens"
most folk do not have a thing like this one, hey ho if it looks ok on 5k it should be ok as a tapestry

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 21 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding a quiet space near a plug is interesting

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 21 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

space and extension lead for the light located

"subject" above waist height and below chin seems about right for all 5 legs involved

this is the first proper studio type test of the tripod , i have used it for "outside" stuff, but that is a little different to this

the last time i did "studio" was the set up test of an installation in the corner of my living room, that was done with a candle and real film(and a darkroom)

this electric stuff is ace but learning fast is the only way to use it to full effect

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 21 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this a fairly basic group snap, with little sophistication, sort of works

the one on the left is the poshest one, the one on the right is our favourite
the potting is not as fine, but the multi angular, multi panelled form is used to perfection by the painter. every panel is different and there is a wee surprise in the bottom of the cup

the basic "studio" is a start with this sort of thing, i can tweak it given need.

the clamp of the lamp is "inadequate", i must replace it with an alternative, falling off the furniture mid-shoot was rather worrying

gz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 21 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pots..the one on the right is good

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
Nice pots..the one on the right is good

even nicer as i got all 4 of them for £10 in a flea market

gz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they English attempt at Delft or Dutch or what? Look fairly old from what I have seen, but no expert on ceramics.

Someone son is in touch with has a special box he uses to take pictures of ceramics and other small items. The idea is that you don't have a hard line across from the transition between wall and shelf, and you can change the colour with art paper if you need it. Son is interested to take good images of his leather work.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 21 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the three on the right are Japanese, 1845 ish, the far left bottle vase is Korean Japanese c1735 to 1740, somewhere i have the names of two of the studios and one of the potters

they were wrapped and stored from about 1975 in Japan, i have the newspapers, they got to Blighty as part of a mixed storage container of antiques and general "grandparent tat", which was very much in the rough

the early bird in the market spotted blue and white, and the stallholder had no idea they were far better than the tatty kendo armour, assorted dolls and other "family "stuff.
he had some nice bits, but some bits are nicer than others.
chances are the many pots worth far less (such as the super fancy shiny Meiji stuff) would have cost more or the same

i got the impression as he said £10 for the 4 he might have been wondering if he should be regretting it, maybe he thought he might have got £20 off me

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 21 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the value of them, but they look good.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 21 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I don't know the value of them, but they look good.

i am hoping for two noughts on my tenner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive