Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fancy a dram of something different?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 05 7:09 pm    Post subject: Fancy a dram of something different?  Reply with quote    

Our latest article, from Erikht, is well worth a read especially if you fancy making something special for Christmas. "The art of dram-making" can be found here: http://www.downsizer.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=159

This is my first year making liqueurs and other experimental infusions and I now have a few more good ideas to try. I also prefer using vodka to gin to soak sloes so perhaps I have a bit of Viking in me?

Erikht

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 05 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Well, you never know. If I should belive a rather bitter Irishman I met in Edinburgh once, most people from the British Isles got a bit of viking in them. Not my fault sober norwegians get luckier that dead-drunk irishmen .

And a tip: if it's still leaves on the black currant bushes, make it, do! That dram will be ready for christmas.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 05 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'm sure I could get enough to give it a try and we stocked up on a few bottles of vodka a few weeks back. In the article by 40% you mean 40% vol? Not sure where I can get anything stronger than 45% in the UK.

Caplan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 05 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Great ideas there in Erikht's article!

I agree with Treacodactyl that we'll struggle to get Vodka that strong as in the article but well worth a go with his recipes.

Nice work!

Erikht

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

The bog myrtle dram that is in the main picture of the article is made with a vodka 37,5% in volume. You can use less strong vodkas if you wish.

Some berries, like black currants, give a lot of water to the drink. But if you want to drink it more like a frtified wine, that is not na problem.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Great article

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

[quote="Erikht"]Well, you never know. If I should belive a rather bitter Irishman I met in Edinburgh once, most people from the British Isles got a bit of viking in them. Not my fault sober norwegians get luckier that dead-drunk irishmen .
quote]

My hubby (Lundy) is one such result! Er, Viking as opposed to dead-drunk Irish!!!

Erikht - a very good, informative article. In the past I have tried making a few liqueurs but your article has given me inspiration - we have tons of rowan at the back of our house!

Thank You.

Fiveravens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Erikht wrote:
Well, you never know. If I should belive a rather bitter Irishman I met in Edinburgh once, most people from the British Isles got a bit of viking in them. Not my fault sober norwegians get luckier that dead-drunk irishmen .

And a tip: if it's still leaves on the black currant bushes, make it, do! That dram will be ready for christmas.

Are ye still slaughtering whales up there in Norway?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Erikht wrote:

A small jar of black current leaves and vodka is on the shelf for it's first week. Yesterday I started a small jar of chanterelles in vodka and I'm already impressed with 24hrs soaking. What to use the chanterelles for when I remove them from the spirit?

Erikht

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
Erikht wrote:

A small jar of black current leaves and vodka is on the shelf for it's first week. Yesterday I started a small jar of chanterelles in vodka and I'm already impressed with 24hrs soaking. What to use the chanterelles for when I remove them from the spirit?

Why not put them in a chantrelle chutney? It's lovely!

Erikht

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Fiveravens wrote:
Erikht wrote:

No, we practice catch and release these days.

N.V.M.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Fiveravens wrote:

what the ??

mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Erikht wrote:

hmm - now as dublin was a major viking settlement - I often wondered if Dubliners were really more Viking than Celt!

Same for people from the West Coast of Ireland!

maybe a DNA study will tell us the truth one Day!

@Calli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Limerick was a viking settlement so my 6 yr old daughter tells me....But what has that got to do with dead drunk irishmen? they can be found all over the world......

'In heaven there aint no beer
That's why we drink it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all the beer'

Pogues

Caught my daughter then aged four, marching around garden singing this at top of her voice word perfect... Lived in Kerry then...

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 05 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Great article - I particularly liked the father in law comment. My entire family cannot take instruction either Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a bog myrtle? They grow wild on the RSPB reserve and presumably the rest of the bog near to us but I didn't like to sneak in and dig some up. It smells wonderful though and my garden has bog like tendencies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive