Recipes            
Latest Articles
The tastiest edible mushroom?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which is the tastiest?
Boletus edulis (Ceps, Penny Buns)
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Cantherelleus cibarius (Golden Chanterelle)
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Chicken of the Woods
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Wood Blewit (Lepista nuda)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Oyster (Pleurotus ostreatus)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hedgehog (Hydnum repandum)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Morels
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Parasol (Lepiota procera)
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
St Georges (Calocybe gambosa)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Giant puffball
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Boletus aureus
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Velvet shanks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Field mushrooms
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Horse mushrooms
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 37

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: The tastiest edible mushroom? Reply with quote

Northern Boy wrote:
I discovered, with some shock, that a fellow forager preferred boletes to chanterelles.

Chanterelles are overrated. People get told they are amazing, so when they taste them they think they are amazing. In reality they don't taste of very much at all. Shop mushrooms are tastier. Seriously.

Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Boy wrote:
So, errr, turns out I can't edit the poll. At least I can't work out how to!

I had no idea parasols were so popular. I've never bothered with them as I always forage in the woods. Will have to change that!

I voted for parasols. I found several hundred earlier this week.

Rowanlady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Boletus edulis - which I've always known as Penny Buns

This year I've been enjoying shaggy ink cap - never seen so many

I even picked some going over and tried making ink from them - that was a disaster!

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaggy ink caps followed by wood blewits.

bubble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken part and voted morels,but I've tasted all those mushrooms .Surely is'nt it aninaccurate result if everybody has'nt tried all those varieties of mushrooms.How is it possible to make a subjective choice otherwise???

Last edited by bubble on Fri Oct 15, 10 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:
I've taken part and voted morels,but I've tasted all tose mushrooms .Surely is'nt it an unfair result if everybody has'nt tried all those varieties of mushrooms.How is it possible to make a subjective choice otherwise???

That is indeed a limitation and could be extended further; you would have to have tasted every edible mushroom, cooked in multiple ways, in order to say which is truly your favourite. However I thought entering a 3000-option poll as one of my first posts would not make me popular.

Geoff wrote:

Chanterelles are overrated. People get told they are amazing, so when they taste them they think they are amazing. In reality they don't taste of very much at all. Shop mushrooms are tastier. Seriously.

I disagree, absolutely and completely! All other wild mushrooms I've eaten taste, to me, like "good" mushrooms. Chanterelles taste like something else (and better) entirely. Maybe you're not cooking them right!

bubble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have'nt made an enemy with me northen boy,what you did is good to keep the forum active;it's just my own opinion, it's not to the exclusion of others.

Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Boy wrote:
bubble wrote:
I've taken part and voted morels,but I've tasted all tose mushrooms .Surely is'nt it an unfair result if everybody has'nt tried all those varieties of mushrooms.How is it possible to make a subjective choice otherwise???

That is indeed a limitation and could be extended further; you would have to have tasted every edible mushroom, cooked in multiple ways, in order to say which is truly your favourite. However I thought entering a 3000-option poll as one of my first posts would not make me popular.

Geoff wrote:

I disagree, absolutely and completely! All other wild mushrooms I've eaten taste, to me, like "good" mushrooms. Chanterelles taste like something else (and better) entirely. Maybe you're not cooking them right!

Maybe. And maybe I just don't buy into the hype...

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff wrote:

Or maybe you've just got different tastes? My favourite beef is a well cooked bit of shin, for the missus it's almost raw fillet.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Boy wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
Northern Boy wrote:
So, errr, turns out I can't edit the poll. At least I can't work out how to!

I had no idea parasols were so popular. I've never bothered with them as I always forage in the woods. Will have to change that!

I can edit the poll. Would you like me to add in field and horse mushrooms?

Sure! I think I saw a call for velvet shanks in there as well.

Done. And voted now - for plain old field mushrooms. Chantarelles would probably be second. (But I haven't had all of them)

Jenna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never found a 'wild' chanterelle. So I purchased some from our pal Mr T*sco to see what all the fuss was about. They were OK, but I won't rush to buy any more

Like shaggy ink cap (far and away the most common 'find' here) and puffball (so have voted for that), have had a go of about a third of the others, and have never come across/can't reliably identify the rest!

Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Geoff wrote:

Or maybe you've just got different tastes? My favourite beef is a well cooked bit of shin, for the missus it's almost raw fillet.

Maybe.

Although I would not stretch "different tastes" as far as people expecting me to believe that their choice of tastiest wild mushroom is a velvet shank. They'll do in the middle of winter when there's nothing else to be found, but tastiest wild mushroom? This cannot be serious.

Geoff

PeteS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 10 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's horn of plenty and it's not even listed. Chanterelles are good too but I think that winter chanterelles are better.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 10 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff wrote:
This cannot be serious.

This is Downsizer.

Actually, I voted for chanterelles because the last time I picked some I remembered thinking how tasty they were and being a bit disappointed by the ceps I had. I bet fungi taste different depending on growing conditions such as how much rain they've had?

bubble

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 10 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Geoff wrote:
This cannot be serious.

This is Downsizer.

Actually, I voted for chanterelles because the last time I picked some I remembered thinking how tasty they were and being a bit disappointed by the ceps I had. I bet fungi taste different depending on growing conditions such as how much rain they've had?
you''ll also find that ceps early in the season[like this year mid-august] taste a lot better than at the end of the flush,chanterelles the same.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive