Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Dead chicken

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 05 11:15 am    Post subject: Dead chicken Reply with quote

When letting the chickens out this morning we found one of them dead. She has shown no apparent symptoms of illness and had no injury, she appears to have just dropped down dead. Looking at her face there is mucus around her nostrels, but nothing else noticeable. Our hens are ex-battery and we think she was bottom of the pecking order. Any ideas?

judith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 05 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your chook. It could well be a chest infection. If she was an ex-batt, then she could have still been quite weak - probably just didn't have the reserves to fight off the infection.

Gertie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 05 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, kinkycat, sorry to hear about your hen.

It may not be any consolation at the moment but at least she has gone quick and not appeared to have suffered.

I take it your others are all OK and not showing any problems?

kinkycat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 05 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gertie & Judith. Other hens are all fine, well, kind of. We have had some bad luck lately in that one hen had the misfortune of the perch falling on her neck and pinning her down for several hours (clearly it had not been put back properly after cleaning). After a spell in hospital Henrietta Benthead (as she is now known) has made a full recovery and the incident has had no long term effect. However, we still have an inpatient by the (newly aquired) name of kebab. This one was cleary attacked by something as she has a puncture wound on her underside and another on her back, but amazingly with much pampering and care she too is doing well. Lets hope this misfortune comes only in threes.

2steps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 05 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to heara bout your hen

twoscoops

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 05 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something very similar here this morning - though no nasal discharge. Of the four wee have I would never have expected her to go, but she was stiff as a board when I went to let them out. I just don't get it, but I have heard that they hide illness well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive