Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Downproof fabric

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 10 8:20 pm    Post subject: Downproof fabric Reply with quote

I bought two old down sleeping bags at a car show in the summer. They were the type that you just dive into & they had a suppliers name label still in. They're really light & I wondered if I could use them at the back of the sofa to cuddle into when it gets really cold. But when I tried one, I came out with white bits all over!

Does anyone know where I can buy downproof fabric? I would prefer something not so outdoorsy as Pertex, I know where I can get that.

Thanks.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 10 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if lining type fabric would work? The slippery more synthetic stuff. I have a down jacket, the pockets are always full of feathers but they are lined with a stretchy fabric that lets the feathers through.

Dogwalker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 10 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillow ticking?

Anura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 10 9:58 pm    Post subject: Downproof fabric Reply with quote

It might be a little too thick Dogwalker, I want to line it inside and out. I remember that chintzy stuff that eiderdowns were made of, I don't want chintz but a paisley type design would be great. I put in searches and have had no success other than the Pertex (which I know about anyway) I just thought some of you guys out there might have made their own sleeping bags or eiderdowns.

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 10 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Point North would do anything?
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/

They ARE outsdoorsy fabric people but they might have something not quite so synthetic feeling.

They'll send samples.

EV

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 10 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

point north fabric clearance sale
pertex alike at low cost

ros

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on similar tack, I'd like to make an old fashioned "eiderdown" - I have a couple of bargain single-sized down duvets for the filling - should I leave them intact and just quilt a silky cover over the top?

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 10 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ros wrote:
on similar tack, I'd like to make an old fashioned "eiderdown" - I have a couple of bargain single-sized down duvets for the filling - should I leave them intact and just quilt a silky cover over the top?

I'd leave them in tact.

Years ago I made a down filled sleeping bag. I thought I could control the down, I was very wrong.

I ended up shutting myself in the bathroom to do all the sewing otherwise the whole house would have been covered in tiny downy feathers. I stitched by hand and had to use the smallest, closest stitches ever!

My advice would be "Don't let it out"

EV

judith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 10 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:
Years ago I made a down filled sleeping bag. I thought I could control the down, I was very wrong.

ros

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 10 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:
ros wrote:

I'd leave them in tact.

I ended up shutting myself in the bathroom to do all the sewing otherwise the whole house would have been covered in tiny downy feathers. I stitched by hand and had to use the smallest, closest stitches ever!

My advice would be "Don't let it out"

EV

Thanks, I will take that advice

next question, how on earth were they made originally - I have a 1930s(?) vintage one here, completely hand stitched by the looks of it. The down probably came from their own geese . I can't imagine the mess .

Can I keep it "forever" ? it needs a new outer cover, but does the down "go off" ? it still feels fluffy and even ?

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 10 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ros wrote:

Can I keep it "forever" ? it needs a new outer cover, but does the down "go off" ? it still feels fluffy and even ?

You can wash down Ros but it takes AGES to dry.

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/cleaningdown.php

EV

Anura

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 10 11:46 am    Post subject: Downproof Fabric Reply with quote

I have washed down myself, in a duvet although it was a summer weight on.

I also made a duvet many years ago. When I lived in Germany the duvet I had there was just a big bag with down in. I couldn't get one over here at the time and so made one. I didn't have proper down and it got all over the place, me the carpet, every single place you could imagine.

I would leave it intact, definitely.

Thanks for your answers I will start searching around.

ros

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 10 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT - but this site came up when I was searching for care of old eiderdown

https://www.louiseloves.co.uk/index.asp

I wish I had a house that would suit all those gorgeous things

(and the bank balance to pay for them)

Dhammagevesi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 10 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can obtain the use of an old cylinder vacuum cleaner The type that sucks at one end and blows at the other and using a net bag then transferring down is pretty straight forward
Yes Points North is an excellent site for material Pertex 4 is among the best material for this type of project They also stock the netting used to create the baffles too and is dirt cheep Best to phone and ask for Lisa a kind and helpful girl
Using a Launderette [ Large washer ] and the dryer makes washing simple too [ and quick !! ]
There are myths put about by sleeping bag manufactures and others to convince us it is more difficult than it really is but I can assure you it is surprisingly simple and far cheaper too
Hope this helps Good luck

Anura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 10 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put them in the garage for now, in a plastic box, as my little house won't hold all these things I seem to gather around me! I've also got a lovely old green patchwork quilt which I'm not sure what to do with.

I WILL get round to doing something about the sleeping bags after Christmas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive