Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Still plenty of Mushrooms

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 10 8:57 pm    Post subject: Still plenty of Mushrooms Reply with quote

While walking the dogs today I saw hedgehog fungus, terracotta hedgehog (Hydnum rufescens), horn of plenty, winter chanterelles, chanterelles, wood mushroom (Agaricus silvicola), wood blewits and even a cep!

The terracotta hedgehogs have only recently started to fruit. Normally I only see a few but in the last week I've seen 100's. The cep was also a surprise as it was in the button stage - at a guess no more than 5 days old and surely a bit of a freak find.

Best make the most of it. The forecast for the middle of next week is looking very cold. Snow possible by the weekend too!

jp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 10 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap - founds load around on a walk in the new Forest on Sunday. Tons of hedgehog mushrooms - I could have filled the basket many times over & it would barely have touched what was there. Also found my first Horns ever (how weird is that for November?), plenty of winter chanterelles & also a Cep too (big stipe & tiny cap)! Good thing about late season ceps is no maggots - perfect condition apart from a few slugs nibbles. Will post photo when I can.

PeteS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 10 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp wrote:
Snap - founds load around on a walk in the new Forest on Sunday. Tons of hedgehog mushrooms - I could have filled the basket many times over & it would barely have touched what was there. Also found my first Horns ever (how weird is that for November?), plenty of winter chanterelles & also a Cep too (big stipe & tiny cap)! Good thing about late season ceps is no maggots - perfect condition apart from a few slugs nibbles. Will post photo when I can.

Glad it's not just me! Well done on the horns. I have found them in December before so it's not that unusual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive