Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How to post...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 05 3:15 pm    Post subject: How to post... Reply with quote

If you are starting a new topic

If you are starting a new topic, make sure that you are in the relevant section of the forums (or fora for the classically educated).

Click on the New Topic button and a new screen will appear. At the top left there will be Subject, followed by a box.

Click on the box to move your cursor into it, and type the title for your post. Below this there is another box. Click on this and type your message in. When your message is complete scroll down until you can see the Submit button and click on it.

To reply to an existing post

To reply to an existing post click on Post Reply; don't bother with a subject title, just type in your message then click on Submit.

Emoticons (or smileys) are added by clicking on the one you want to use. There is also some basic posting information in the 'How to' topic.

If you do get stuck then PM or email one of the mods or admin, who are all unfailingly courteous and helpful.

To add a pretty little picture by your name

These are called avatars and they're basically just graphics files (jpegs, or .jpg) to add one click on the Profile button at the top and then scroll down to the section that says Avatar Control Panel there you have the option of uploading an image from your PC, or somewhere on the internet, if you don't have an image of your own you can click on the Avatar Gallery to see if there's anything there that you fancy. The image should be less than 120x120 pixels in size. Make sure you press submit to save the changes to your profile.

Our members have voted that we do not permit moving images as avatars.

Feel free to add tips to this thread.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 05 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To comment on something someone has written

press the quote button, on their post, and then add your comments after it.

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add a picture in the forums

Click reply or post or quote to bring up the form to submit your post

Put in your message or comments as usual

Scroll down to see the section Add an Attachment

Press "Browse" to open a window that will let you search your computer

Look through your folders as normal to find the picture, select it, and press open

Press submit and you post should display the picture

If possible - try not to use too large a picture, but if you're not sure what this means don't worry, go ahead and post and if necessary someone will modify it for you!

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add a link to another site or another part of this site

If it's a nice short link like https://downsizer.net just type it in like that and it should display nicely

If it's a very long link you have two choices:

- go to https://masl.to to make a shorter link
- embed it within the words of your post

To embed a link within the words of your post

Suppose you want to tell people about a really interesting article on The Observer website and you want to make your post look tidy by including the link as part of your comments, this is what to do:

- Copy the URL that you want to link to
- Write the sentence you want make a link, e.g. really interesting article on The Observer website
- Select the sentence you want to make a link and press the URL button at the top right of the page, which will surround that bit with the URL tags
- inside the opening URL tag, type = right after the URL and then paste in your URL - so it will look like this {url=https://downsizer.net}click here{/url} only with square [] brackets rather than curvy{}ones
- press preview and it should work nicely

If you can't manage it, have a go, let us know it doesn't work, a mod or admin can edit your post for you, and then you will be able to press "edit" yourself and see the way the post should be laid out in the future.

jamsam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 05 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid question i know, but how do ypu all do that end line and a quote underneath? is it like an automatic signiture??

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 05 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamsam wrote:
stupid question i know, but how do ypu all do that end line and a quote underneath? is it like an automatic signiture??

Yup, it's in your profile, you add a signature, I think you have to tick a box to make it visible too.

jamsam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 05 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i got it!

Welsh Girls Allotment

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 06 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. adding photos to posts- I tried to add a photo for the best weeds competition but had the message that image was to big - what can I do to make it fit the requirements - (reduce it obviously) but how?

Lots of love welsh girl

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 06 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do mine with microsoft picture manager. Right click on the image. Open with picture manager.Click on edit picture. Select compress pictures, then web pages, then ok !
There are several different ways to do it.
There is more information in the IT matters section
Sticky: Irfanview -free image viewing softwear
Dave

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 06 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I open mine in paint, and then use image-stretch/skew.

lowri

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 07 7:23 am    Post subject: new topic Reply with quote

I started a thread in Chat yesterday about the Hindu bull, having no idea that it had already been covered in a different forum. I wasn't trying to make any ethical/political/controversial points, I genuinely wondered what people thought. Is there ANY way to check the subject of a new thread to see if it has been covered elsewhere, before posting it?

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 07 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, although if it's current you might be able to find something in 'latest posts'

But don't worry, it happens fairly regularly and people either go for the discussion with the most posts, or we sometimes merge a thread (although not often because it's technical and we're crap)

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 07 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to check you can search, a search on "hindu and bull" would have shown the other thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive