Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
cess pits, soakaways, etc
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 11 4:25 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Cesspit is One sealed chamber,

Septic Tank is Two chambers ,with a Soak away from the second chamber that is filled with graded stone

Jo S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 11 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

My mother's cess pit has only been emptied once in the 25+ years she's lived there, though she did once have a blockage and I had to empty the drains with a bucket and then get down and dirty with pokey things and the hosepipe til it shifted. I count this as the single most disgusting experience of my life.

alice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 11 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

If you are a family of four then I'm guessing you have two children and potentially that's where your problems will come from if you don't thoroughly *police* what they bung down the drains.

Our septic tank only has one chamber but it is baffled which I guess does the same job as a second chamber.

misty07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 11 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Jo S wrote:
My mother's cess pit has only been emptied once in the 25+ years she's lived there, though she did once have a blockage and I had to empty the drains with a bucket and then get down and dirty with pokey things and the hosepipe til it shifted. I count this as the single most disgusting experience of my life.
try doing it as a job lol as i did for 2 years never had a cold and did not have a cold till last year due to the job

giveitago

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 11 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Many thanks for all your replies.

Whilst we are happy that the tank will probably be fine for many years to come, it is the mortgage company who gets the final say as it's their money

Just another thought. I understand that a waste disposal unit is not ideal for cess pits, or for that matter, good composting. Does anyone know of a waste disposal system that we could use in the sink to chop all those naff bits of veggies that I could then empty onto the compost heap?

judith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 11 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

giveitago wrote:
Does anyone know of a waste disposal system that we could use in the sink to chop all those naff bits of veggies that I could then empty onto the compost heap?

A knife?
Or just chuck it all on the compost as is - that's what I do.

alice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 11 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Dogs, chickens and a compost heap - just about accounts for everything I find

onemanband

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 11 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

If you're looking for a new system then a Klargester biodisc could be an option.
Fitted one on a job years ago. It's like a mini sewage treatment plant with revolving discs that bacteria live on. Once it was established environment agency tested outlet water and then certified clean enough to discharge into canal.
Probably cheaper to sort out existing tank tho

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 11 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

In the sets of questions and answers about the property do the vendors mention any issues with the cess pit? How many people in the family currently using it?

A certificate of worthiness will only be a good on the day it was tested as like sewer pipes, gas pipes water pipes these things can wrong at any time. As a previous poster said, if it's been going okay for 90 years it will probably go for a bit longer yet. If you are contemplating changing the system, you could mention that to the lenders so that they know you are mindful of it as a potential issue but prepared to deal with if it arises.

sgf

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 11 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

onemanband wrote:
If you're looking for a new system then a Klargester biodisc could be an option.

Expensive compared to other options & uses power 24 7 to run it.

Dee J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 11 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

giveitago wrote:
Whilst we are happy that the tank will probably be fine for many years to come, it is the mortgage company who gets the final say as it's their money

I'd have though with the amount of deposit most mortgage companies insist on then their money was covered anyhow, but, of course, they can (sadly) apply any conditions they chose.
Dee

thi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 11 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Many rural properties have cess pits, or septic tanks, (lots of people call cess pits a septic tank and they think it sound better!) and in my experience there isn't a problem with mortgage lending.

There is usually little maintenance unless it has been damaged, for example by construction works. A cess pit needs to be emptied every year or two, depends on the size and useage, but this is less than 100 (shared between two) in my case and certainly much cheaper than Water Rates (the Drainage element)

Establish from the existing owner the frequency of emptying and which company does it - you can call them and check the costings/frequency. It would be quite reasonable to ask the current owners to produce the last 3 accounts as you might with other outgoings. You need to check where it is and whether anyone else drains into it (mine is shared with next door) and whether any rights of access exist if it is shared or on someone elses land.

Generally speaking they are fine provided they are emptied as required and the older ones were usually well built.

Jenna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 11 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

thi wrote:
(lots of people call cess pits a septic tank and they think it sound better!)

In Scotland, septic is an acceptable form of off-mains drainage (for PP, building warrant, SEPA purposes etc), and cess is not, so I think they must not be the same thing *scratches head*

Don't suppose it matters really, OP and their solicitor etc must know which one they have , but it would make a difference to the advice given

giveitago

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 11 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Many thanks for all your replies. We have sorted the legal stuff required and will wait to see how it pans out when we move.

Fingers crossed.

camaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I have an 80 year old septic tank that's never been cleaned or emptied - happily it's on an island and the lake regularly floods it and does the job for me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive