Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
NICEIC waste of space?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 05 8:03 am    Post subject: NICEIC waste of space? Reply with quote

NICEIC are the trade body for electrical contractors, and have a complaints mechanism where you can complain about the work of their members and they'll send someone out to look at it. We've recently had problems with an NICEIC registered electrician leaving unsafe wiring and their reason for not coming out to have a look at the contractors work is that we could not prove that they did the work...(even though the contractor themselves agrees that they came out!).

Do they have a reputation for just looking after their members? I've never come across them before and wonder whether they have a reuptation for just looking after their own.

ele

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 05 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yonks ago (1997) I had a problem with an electrician and called them, I don't remember exactly what they said, their main thing was checking he was on their books, but then when he was they were no use at all. In the end I just had to get rid of that electrician and get another one in to put the wrong (and sometimes unsafe) bits right

RoryD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 05 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats been our experience too. So effectively when people say "NICEIC approved", and you think it means something, its just a waste of time.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 05 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a problem with most of these bodies. I tried to complain about the work a CORGI engineer did but because there was not a gas leak CORGI didn't want to know. The fact that the wiring wasn't done correctly, the boiler was unsuitable and incorrectyl fitted didn't matter. I'm of the opinion that most of these bodies are only there to look after their membership's profits and with the latest building regs people are being forced to pay extra for no benefit.

RoryD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 05 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. By the sounds of it you can't complain about them to anyone can you either. Building Regs pass on responsibility to NICEIC to contracting/licencing them to regulate them regs,(!) then you've got no comeback when they refuse to enforce them.

shame really.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive