Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pork belly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 11 3:28 pm    Post subject: Pork belly Reply with quote

Need some help please. I've decided to cook Mrs C a meal on Saturday night and I was thinking of doing something with pork belly for the main. Does anyone have any good recipes?

Starter will be French onion soup.
Dessert will be Sticky toffee pudding.

If they help at all.

Thanks

Sally Too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 11 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pork belly can be a bit fatty, but cooked in an oven with some stuffing and some veg and spuds around it is yum! Comfort food for sure!

T.G

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 11 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roast pork belly is yum, stuffed or not.

It's also nice done slowly with sweet and sour sauce but my boys really enjoy it curried.

Toffer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 11 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressed pork belly is delicious, the only recipe that I consistently do to restaurant beating standards! You slow-cook, press, trim and then re-cook on a high heat just before serving.

It's a Ramsay recipe, let me know if you fancy it and I'll dig out the book.

Sally Too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 11 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toffer I'd love to see it!

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 11 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that please Toffer.

BahamaMama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 11 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pork belly baked slowly in cider and a good slug of cider vinegar, layered apples on the top is divine.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 11 11:11 am    Post subject: Sticky slow-roast belly of pork Reply with quote

Well I made the following and can I just say, it was very, very nice. I would recommend it to others. Though I did it with peppered mash.

Sticky slow-roast belly of pork.

Ingredients
• 1.3kg piece pork belly , boned, rind left on and scored (ask your butcher to do this)
• 2 tsp sunflower oil
• 1 tsp white peppercorns , crushed
• 3 large onions , sliced
• 2-3 tbsp clear honey
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 red chilli , deseeded and chopped

1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lay the pork, skin-side up, on a rack in a roasting tin. Trickle with a little oil, then lightly press on the crushed peppercorns and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt. Place in the oven, then cook for 1 hr. Remove from the oven and baste with the juices. Continue to cook for a further 1˝ hrs, basting every 20 mins.
2. Put the sliced onions in the roasting tin under the pork. Mix the honey together with the cumin and chilli, brush it over the pork, then increase the oven to 200C/fan 180C/ gas 6. Cook for a further 30-40 mins, basting occasionally, until caramelised with a rich, golden glaze over the pork. Once cooked and tender (this can be easily tested by piercing the flesh with a knife), remove pork from the oven, then leave to rest for 10-15 mins.
3. While the pork is resting, heat the tin on the stove with the onions, adding 2 tbsp water. This will lift any residue from the pan, creating a moist cooking liquor. Season the onions with salt and pepper, then divide between 6 plates. Carve pork into 6 portions, then serve on top of the onions. Pour any remaining liquor over and serve with the Pumpkin mash (below).

Marts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 11 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toffer wrote:
Pressed pork belly is delicious, the only recipe that I consistently do to restaurant beating standards! You slow-cook, press, trim and then re-cook on a high heat just before serving.

Iḿ on stage 2 of this recipe. The only problem with it is that it takes three days with the preparation.....

Ramsay´s twice cooked pork belly

I´m looking forward to tomorrow night

fatbloke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 11 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well any "confit" recipe takes a while, but is usually worth the effort.....

AnnieK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 11 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your pork belly slices in a roasting tin with quartered onions, chunks of different coloured peppers, minced garlic, olive oil. Stick in a hot oven until the pork is a nice colour and the veggies browning on the edges - you'll need to give everything a stir a couple of times.

In the meantime you will have cooked, or opened a tin of, puy lentils or lentilles vertes (which are the same things just not from Puy). Take the pork out of the tin. Add lentils, a tin of tomatoes (chop them up), sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Do you like chilli? Put some of that in too. Add enough good stock (I use Marigold if there's nothing in the freezer) to cover your lentil/veg mixture, put the pork on top. Cover the whole thing in foil and put in a medium oven for an hour.

Further thoughts;
Can be prepared in advance.
The second phase could be done in a slow cooker but you wouldn't need anywhere near as much stock.
You could trim the belly slices if there is a lot of fat under the skin; I'd do it after cooking though, you want that fat enriching the lentil/veg mix.

Toffer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 11 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they still have it on the Channel Four website, some of the accompanying bits and bobs like the apple wedges and the mustard mash were also nice but the belly was the triumph by far.

The cutting and butter-flying seems to be the key to getting it all even.

https://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/roast-loin-of-pork-pressed-belly-of-pork-caramelised-apple-wedges-with-broccoli-and-mustard-mash-recipe.

Does look like a bit of a faff from these instructions but I remember it being quite straightforward once you get going.

Enjoy!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 11 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toffer wrote:

The cutting and butter-flying seems to be the key to getting it all even.

Sounds like BW making toast.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 11 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marts wrote:
Toffer wrote:

Iḿ on stage 2 of this recipe. The only problem with it is that it takes three days with the preparation.....

Ramsay´s twice cooked pork belly

I´m looking forward to tomorrow night

Just eating this. God, it's good. Had to have a taster for lunch, see? Will present it to the masses ce soir.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive