Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cutting glass bottles to make cloches
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been making for years them from old demi-johns that for one reason or another I can't get clean enough to use for brewing. I'm not allowed to do things with paraffin and matches

Take one demi-john, and decide where yu want the cut to be. Put the demi-john into a sink, put in the plug and run cold water in, up to that line where you want the cut to be. Take a funnel, put into the neck of the demi-john, and pour boiling water in, carefully. Where the boiling water meets the cold on the outside, the jar will crack fairly neatly and safely around its curcumference. The funnel is vital to stop the boiling water splashing on the sides, as it will cause the jar to crack where it hits - this way the boiling water goes exactly where it is needed. TEsted and reliable method, and fairly safe, with care.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are quite bulky to store, but I leave them outside over the winter when not being used, lined up tidily in the garden. The advantage of these is they have a good amount of space inside for the plants to grow on, and water can get in the top, and air. I think they look good in raised beds as well, more aesthetically pleasing than the plastic ones. When finished with, they can go to the bottle bank.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozzie wrote:
It is called a Glass Cutter.

It is the tool that the writer refers to in the article about demijohn cloches.

They are quite easy to come by ... I could lend you mine!

Or she can rummage in my tool box as we have one. (Guess who does the DIY).

I remember seeing a programme a while back where the glass bottle was placed on a turn table and a small flame pointed at the break line. After rotating for a few moments a wet wire was placed on the break line and the top broke off cleanly.

Gloves and goggles would be a wise choice me thinks.

mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
judith wrote:
There is also a technique involving a piece of string soaked in paraffin or some such, but I can't remember exactly how it works - or where I saw it. (Helpful as ever).

Probably you wrap the cord where you want the cut and light it - this will create a weak point around the bottle where a quick tap (or whack) will release it.

two methods:-

Method 1: Dip a piece of string in alcohol or paraffin or petrol or some such and squeeze dry or as dry as it will get without dripping. This string should then be placed on the already marked glass and tied tight. Light the string and let it burn off. Immediately, while the glass is still hot, plunge it into cold water.
Be sure the container of water is large enough to let the glass go completely under as well as your arm up to the elbow, so as to deaden the vibration when you strike the glass. Strike the glass with your other hand outside the line of cutting using a stick of wood and hitting a sharp stroke. This quick, sharp stroke will break the glass where it has been weakened by the burning string into a clean cut .

Method 2: First, scratch the glass with the corner of a file or sharp graver. Have a piece of wire bent to the desired shape you want to cut the glass. Heat the wire red hot and lay it upon the scratch. Sink the glass into cold water just deep enough to come on a level with the wire, not quite covering it. The glass will break clean.

Lozzie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sarah's technique sounds by far the best - nothing sharp, nothing burning, just a little boiling water, that's all!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

Or she can rummage in my tool box

You've been warned before about bringing your private life onto the forum.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost weeping at the thought of demi jons ending up thus ruined. No such thing as a stain on glass that you can't get off.

I'm going to try Sarahs method with some other bottles, it sounds like a great idea.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sarah D"]
Take one demi-john, and decide where yu want the cut to be. Put the demi-john into a sink, put in the plug and run cold water in, up to that line where you want the cut to be. Take a funnel, put into the neck of the demi-john, and pour boiling water in, carefully. Where the boiling water meets the cold on the outside, the jar will crack fairly neatly and safely around its curcumference. quote]

I did this by accident a couple of years ago, made a great cloche

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 06 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demi-johns that I use tend to be "donated" by others - looking for somewhere to dump their unwanted demi-johns; quite often they ahve been left outside, and some of the gunk is impossible to get off, and they're full of insect bits, slime, etc. I give them a good wash out, but they are never quite clean enough even for me to use for wine So instead of disposing of them, I use them this way. If I have to store empty ones for any length of time, I just cover over the tops with a poly bag or similar - stops them getting into a state, and they just need a rinse when you come to use them again.

dave b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 11 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been brewing beer & wine for over 20 years , when i have finshed a fermentation cycle i roughly rinse the brew bin or demijohn then put oit out ino the garden for nature to clean up for a few weeks.
after that any residue that wont wash out with plenty of hot & cold water with a good stiff brush inside & out has never ruined the next brew! so i have to have a very good reason for getting rid of demijohns, however today i need to make a cloche for a venus flytrap

hots

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 11 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, sorry Cab, probably best you don't read this...

I bought 3 demi-johns for £3 at a car boot sale this morning.
Tried the ice-water/boiling water trick and it works brilliantly!
Only done one so far, I will tackle the other two tomorrow.

Ha! Take that you pigeons, let's see you get my strawberry plants now!

dave b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 11 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried the hot water method , wrecked 2 demijonhs, tried scoring & tapping, still no joy, i must have really tough demijohns.
finally found the soultion , a Diamond tile cutter, like a circular saw for cutting wall tiles. it works a treat!
best used wet so you dont get glass dust in your lungs & wearing gloves & eye protection

astra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 11 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sarah D. do you need to do anything with the broken edge Sarah? File it or anything?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 11 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astra wrote:
@ Sarah D. do you need to do anything with the broken edge Sarah? File it or anything?

If you look Astra, Sarah's post is five years old and she hasn't been on line here for quite some time. I would have thought you'd want to take the sharp edges off with something, but not sure what

astra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 11 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops
Never thought to look at the date or the year:?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive