Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Useful information for home juicers and jammers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 11 6:27 am    Post subject: Useful information for home juicers and jammers. Reply with quote

Having got in touch with my local trading standards, I recieved this useful E-mail back yesterday. I think its contents are so useful, that I thought I'd share the information.
I asked specifically for the rules and legislation with regard to selling home produced food from the farm or garden gate.
. ........................................................................................

Further to our telephone conversation on Thursday 9th of June, I’d like to confirm the following.

Jam and chutney
Compositional Standards:
There are specific Regulations for the production of jam, notably that the jam must comply with the reserved descriptions as set out in the regulations. These include minimum fruit content. If you choose one of the reserved descriptions (i.e. jam) then the product must be made according to the defined compositional criteria. For example, raspberry jam must have a minimum of 350g of raspberries per kg, to classify as jam. I enclose a link below to some basic guidance on the regulations.

https://www.tradingstandardswales....;frmItemID=260724&frmShared=1

There are no specific regulations for chutneys.

Labelling:
As you are only going to be selling these products direct from the farm gate, the general requirements with regard to food labelling will be minimal. The only requirement will be the name of the food, and a list of any additives which are added (if any). The requirement to list allergies in the product is currently not a legal requirement, however some businesses do choose to voluntarily display this information. I enclose a link on some basic guidance on allergies for your information.

https://www.tradingstandardswales....;frmItemID=167099&frmShared=1

Weights and Measures:
Jams and chutneys must be sold by net weight – and must be declared in metric i.e. grams. To determine the net weight, the weight of the packaging/jar must be deducted from the actual package/jar content. As your operation will be on a fairly small scale in the beginning, I would suggest that the process of packing to a minimum net weight, which means that the jams are all weight marked i.e. 250g, and then you must ensure that the contents of all jars weigh no less than 250g. Suitable weighing equipment should be used to determine the quantities. I enclose a link which will give you some more information on suitable weighing equipment.

https://www.tradingstandardswales....;frmItemID=212516&frmShared=1

Apple Juice:
Compositional Standards:
There are specific compositional standards for fruit juice, as outlined in the Fruit Juices and Fruit nectars (Wales) Regulations 2003. From what you advised on the telephone, you would only be processing apples and making ‘apple juice’. To be able to classify the apple drink as a reserved description of ‘apple juice’, I paste from the regulations, the following:

The fermentable but unfermented product obtained from fruit which is sound and ripe, fresh or preserved by chilling, of one or more kinds mixed together, having the characteristic colour, flavour and taste typical of the juice of the fruit from which it comes;
· in which flavour, pulp and cells from the juice which are separated during processing may be restored to the same juice;
· in which, in the case of citrus fruits other than limes, the juice must come from the endocarp; and
· in which, in the case of limes, the juice may be obtained from the whole fruit, by suitable production processes whereby the proportion of constituents of the outer part of the fruit is reduced to a minimum.

I enclose a link to the regulations for information:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2003/3041/contents/made

Labelling:
Similar to jam and chutney, as you are only proposing to sell the juice from the farm gate, labelling will be minimal – name of food, and a list of any additives (if any).

Weights and Measures:
The juice will need to be sold by volume – similar to the trade scale, you will need a certified measure – either a stamped capacity measure, individually measuring each bottle content or it is possible to buy measuring container bottles which are certified as holding a certain quantity when full.

To conclude, I hope you find the above information useful, and should you require more specific information, or want to discuss any of the email’s contents, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Back with Bodger. I hope that this might be of use to some of you.

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 11 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people here will find that very useful. Good post, Bodge!

Bodger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 11 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm full of em
I'm just waiting for the forms to come through so that I can register our own home kitchen for food production. I'll let you know what hoops if any I have to jump through. I must say that all the authorities that I've spoken to so far, have been very helpful and not in the least obstructive. Long may it continue.

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 11 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
I'm full of it

Well, we already knew that.

Bodger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 11 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas you mean?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 11 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be stickified

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 14 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post mate

i wish charcuterie was as simple

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive