Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Where do I start?

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 11 1:21 pm    Post subject: Where do I start? Reply with quote

I am involved in the management of a nature reserve and at the AGM the committee have decided that we want to introduce 2 hives in the conservation area of the reserve i.e not open to the public.

Our bee and bug guy has just moved to Kent and this was his baby but I have been asked to take over the mantle

I have done a little reading and have just got hold of a copy of this book and have also read quite a lot from this guy (although not read his book yet)
I like the idea that the main purpose for our bees is not massive honey production but have no idea if this guy is out there on his own or not but like his hive design
Just in the process of contacting Shropshire Beekeeping Assoc and am trying to find a good one day course but most seem full and/or not until 2012

Anything else I should be doing other than reading this part of the forum

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 11 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Barefoot Beekeeper site is awesome and thoroughly recommended

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 11 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanne wrote:
The Barefoot Beekeeper site is awesome and thoroughly recommended

Thanks Jo - you still got your bees?

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 11 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the beginner I personally think the horizontal top bar hive is about the best.
They are cheap & easy to construct, the bees are easier to handle & because everything is in one box, no heavy lifting.
Many local associations are 'old school' & will put the HTBH down despite few of them actually having any experience with them, so don't be daunted if yours is one such.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 11 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished one. The timber was presawn for me which did save a lot of hassle but I could have easily managed it. I glued and screwed it together myself with the occasional help from an extra pair of hands. I came home and the roof had been made for me but apart from that I could have managed it all and I have never been taught woodworking. I made the smaller bait box entirely myself. It is less lovely but I am very proud of it.

I have read and read, mostly on the biobee forum and I have joined the local beekeeping group. No-one has been negative and many support hands off beekeeping so I have been lucky. I had already begun to get the idea of it however so can apply what they teach me to the way I want to keep bees.

I ask questions all the time. I do hope you enjoy it!

Dogwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 11 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the chance to go on a beginners course with Brian Goodwin at Shropshire beekeepers do, traditional beekeeper but a good course and excellent tutor. Most courses are early in the year because that's when people are starting up.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 11 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our members, mochadisimo lives in Montgomeryshire, might be quite near to you and I think they offer courses.

mochasidamo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 11 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cathryn , hope your bees are blooming. Bernie-woman, we are on the Shropshire border and can offer a half day taster course to you and anyone else involved in your project on both standard box hives and htbh as we run several of each and can offer a balanced viewpoint of both systems.

Drop me a PM bernie-woman and we'll see what we can do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive