Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Butternut squash

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 11 11:53 am    Post subject: Butternut squash Reply with quote

I'm having a go at growing a butternut squash in the greenhouse and it is nearly 2 ft long with some sideshoots coming off of it.

There are lots of flower buds on it but they appear to be all male ones. Should I remove these (like I do on the courgette plants to encourage female flowers) or could they possibly be female flowers but the bulge isn't visible yet. They are still quite tightly shut buds.

Any advice please.

thanks

Went

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 11 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just leave our to get on with it and always manage a good crop but that may not be the text book method...

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 11 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking the male flowers start appearing before the female ? In which case, you should eventually get both at once and can help them along with a small paintbrush if needs be.

liz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 11 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking the male flowers start appearing before the female ? In which case, you should eventually get both at once and can help them along with a small paintbrush if needs be.

I hope you're right Gill, I think I will play the waiting game a little bit longer.

Millymollymandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 11 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely the first flower on mine was female, and not a male one in sight....

Mr O

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 11 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The females will show up eventually, leave the males alone, the females will most likely show up on the main vine first rather than on a sidevine. Be patient, good luck and enjoy the eventual fruit.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 11 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is blokes first, lasses later, then you can introduce them to each other.

liz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 11 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies. This is my first time growing them and I so want to get some fruits on the plants. Must learn to be more patient.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 11 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine didn't do anything last year in the garden so I am trying them in the greenhouse this year. Am hoping the peppers grow enough before the squashes from one side and the courgette from the other get to them. Think there are some flower buds on my squash now, but no flowers yet.

Roontolos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any problem growing any kind of squash that required removing the male flowers. In fact, I've always found that squashes are the easiest thing to grow. There's a saying that no gardener ever has a shortage of the things. Unless you find yourself with a crop shortage, I'd say don't mess with it.

Millymollymandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 11 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millymollymandy wrote:
Strangely the first flower on mine was female, and not a male one in sight....

.....and since then not a female in sight, so still don't have any fruit setting. Ditto the Jack be Littles. Not having a good year for pumpkins at all - so far only one single potimarron has formed and normaly by the end of July my plants are all loaded with fruit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive