links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Getting old.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 8:20 am    Post subject: Getting old. Reply with quote

My dog is suffering from a nasty dose of old age... though I say "suffering" he doesn't seem unhappy with it, just tired.

I am never sure if we should take him to the vet or not... they can't cure old age, and I don't need to pay for a professional opinion to tell me he's got it.

Am going to pop him in though, in case they can help with any part of it...
Though we're a bit annoyed with our usual vet, I'm not sure we shouldn't try a new one.
Bangor area, if anyone wants to make any recommendations.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried the dull, sensible stuff? Cod liver oil helped ours massively, with old joints and such.

It's a bugger when they get old tho.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cod liver oil, glucosamine, hipright...
He's been on them for a while, they have been a great help.

He did not want to get up this morning, but having got him up, he seemed keen enough for his gentle plod around the mountain... Maybe I'm worrying too much.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two things in life are certain for us. Dogs don't pay taxes.

Ask the vet, but it may be he's just old.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Ask the vet, but it may be he's just old.

More than likely. The main concerns are that he's panting a lot and he's picked up a bit of a cough.

He's wearing a happy face though.

Jenna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he have a dicky ticker? Might be worth a check

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna wrote:
Does he have a dicky ticker? Might be worth a check

Not so far as we know, but we'll see what the vet says.

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hairy loon wrote:
The main concerns are that he's panting a lot and he's picked up a bit of a cough.

if he's a large breed, eg Labrador, German Shepherd, retriever etc these could be symptoms of canine laryngeal paralysis. our 12 .5 y/o collie x lab has it. the larynx muscles become weakened, leading to lots of panting even in cool weather, and after very little physical exertion. also the bark becomes weak, hoarse and higher pitched - as if suffering from a sore throat. nothing to do about it except make sure the dog has plenty of access to cool water and avoids physical exercise in hot and very cold weather. loads of stuff on the web as I recall.

Interesting to read of cod liver oil and glucosamine treatments for joint-challenged dogs, - are these prescribed or just the normal ones you get from health food shops etc?
I hear of lots of dogs on metacam for arthritis, but have also heard that this drug can lead to other health issues with long term use, anyone have any thoughts or experience to share?

cherrybanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfoodie wrote:

I hear of lots of dogs on metacam for arthritis, but have also heard that this drug can lead to other health issues with long term use, anyone have any thoughts or experience to share?

My cat was prescribed Metacam for arthritis and it didn't do her kidneys any good at all - she displayed all the symptoms of kidney failure and as a result was prescribed Fortekor, which I've since learned to my cost (with my other cat) makes kidney function worse before it gets better. A friend has read all the small print and internet blogs etc about Metacam, and ignored her vets recommendation. I stopped giving it to my cat ages ago - I'd rather she was a bit stiff than risk kidney failure. And there are alternatives - I tried Arthri-aid, though I'm not certain how much it helped. I'm rather wary of vets advice these days - more than once I've been given one drug for one problem and then another to combat the side-effects.

sugar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have aged dogs and horses all were a tad stiff in the legs when getting up etc Tried the vet route Metacalm Bute etc etc...... but we have discovered Devils Relief put the horses on it first of all and within 1 month things were much better, next on the hit list for Devils Relief was our 17 year old dog and again much much improved in getting up and easier moving about so I put myself on it as I have arthritis in knees and yes much better!!

bayandgrey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 11 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear other folk share my lack of trust in vets. sorry to say but i have experienced too many mis-diagnosis with the assorted animals i have owned over the years. there are plenty of good vets out there but there are plenty who aint so great too.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 11 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
We have aged dogs and horses all were a tad stiff in the legs when getting up etc Tried the vet route Metacalm Bute etc etc...... but we have discovered Devils Relief put the horses on it first of all and within 1 month things were much better, next on the hit list for Devils Relief was our 17 year old dog and again much much improved in getting up and easier moving about so I put myself on it as I have arthritis in knees and yes much better!!

Who makes it? Where can I get it, ie health food shop?

(potter with creaking hands and back)

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 11 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a hard time, we had to make the decision two weeks ago. Our Jeddy was 13, he'd been getting old but been perfectly happy, then over the space of a few days, his tail stopped wagging, he didn't want to eat or go for a walk and looked miserable.

We knew it was time. It was the lack of a waggy tail that did it.

I don't trust vets either.

sugar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 11 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.simplesupplements.co.uk D,evils Claw 600mg Holland and Barret also do Good'nNatural Devils Claw Gel which is very good as well I have used it on the odd occasion when knees have been particularly sore(mainly in the winter). From personal experience it really helps as I cannot take Ibruprofen etc as I now have a stomach ulcer caused by years of being prescribed by Doctor so now use this all the time.Good Luck

LynneA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 11 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC also good for human sciatica. Am buying a good stock in case it falls foul of EU rulings. On offer in Holland & Barrett till week after next.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive