Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
setting P+P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 11:26 am    Post subject: setting P+P Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a simple AND fair way to price P+P.

Looks like I have to test pack each single item I post on Etsy

Until I sell enough to buy standard size boxes, I suppose

RuthG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I cheat. I look on amaz0n to see what they charge for P&P for the same/similar item and charge that! But then if you are sending by weight, that's not so easy.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Individual pots, even in a run of throwing, can vary.
The clay might have a different moisture content, so the same size mug could be a different weight, *and* soak up a varying amount of glaze...AND a slightly different bisque firing could vary the porosity and change the latter too!

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll will be a parcel and therefore rates don't vary much (in 2kg increments up to 10kg - https://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/business-delivery-options-uk/standard-parcels/prices) which is a good starting point.

Edit: The few times I sell things on eBay I calculate how it's going to cost by weight using ParcelForce24 and add the cost to my starting price then set the P&P to 'Free'.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use first class mail up to1kg, so more divisions. Over that, parcel is cheaper.
Everything going out of the UK goes airmail. I'd rather a pot takes a week to get to Oz rather than two months

mochyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
It'll will be a parcel and therefore rates don't vary much (in 2kg increments up to 10kg - https://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/business-delivery-options-uk/standard-parcels/prices) which is a good starting point.

Edit: The few times I sell things on eBay I calculate how it's going to cost by weight using ParcelForce24 and add the cost to my starting price then set the P&P to 'Free'.

Can't get that link to work, but it's just what I was looking for!

Ah: it't the close bracket that's causing the problem.

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
vegplot wrote:

Can't get that link to work, but it's just what I was looking for!

Ah: it't the close bracket that's causing the problem.

Remove the end bracket - https://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/business-delivery-options-uk/standard-parcels/prices

County4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion - not knowing the sizes and weights of the stuff you're sending - but I only use Interparcel these days for sending out trial packs of firewood briquettes. They're an online booking agent - you stick in the dimensions of your parcel and the weight, then you'll be presented with all the service options and the exact price for each. Choose the service you require (quite a few options here) the date you want it picking up, pay online for it, and then print off the delivery notes and address label. Everything will print on normal A4 paper - no need for sticky labels etc. Just sellotape it to your parcel. The nice bloke from UPS or whoever turns up on the day you chose, and off it goes. Never had a single problem with this lot at all - and they were certainly cheaper than the Post office for my stuff (30 kilo packages) Also of course, I can just leave the stuff in the porch and the guy just turns up and takes it - no trekking to the Post Office!

They're at www.interparcel.com

Worth a shot!

Andy

gz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one problem- my front door is straight onto the pavement (consequently no doorbell as those with get played with )
and one advantage- the post office is seven doors along the street!

Most of my one-pot packages average 500g so far.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a couple of test runs, then you should have an idea of how much the packaging weighs, and after that you can weigh the item and add a bit more for packaging.

Mochyn - for lighter packages try https://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/business-delivery-options-uk/first-class-mail/prices and

https://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?mediaId=53800712&catId=400036

for overseas

Gz like you.. i have a post office within a very short walk..so it seems obvious. always get a proof of postage...

RichardW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 11 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget to cost in the actual packaging & the time, effort of packing, tracking & taking to PO. You count all your other time in making them so count that too.

chez

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 11 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy boxes and void fill from these chaps - https://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bluestar-Packaging-Supplies?_rdc=1 - they do them in small-ish quantities and it has made the pricing of P&P SOOOOO much easier.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 11 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'll bookmark that one

mochyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 11 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, CIG: even better!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive