Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Edible or not?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 11 3:12 pm    Post subject: Edible or not? Reply with quote

The plant below is growing in my daughter's garden, but not in the vegetable bed area.

It looks to be related to tomatillo. Does anyone know what it is? Is it edible?

Larger pic here > https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-30TKPqu7ghw/TjVviBJhRoI/AAAAAAAAADc/P7Ywvr_uyow/s1600/mystery+plant.JPG.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 11 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's some sort of physalis isn't it? Some of them are edible, but I don't know if they all are. Whcih is not much help really, sorry.

Mithril

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 11 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
It's some sort of physalis isn't it? Some of them are edible, but I don't know if they all are. Whcih is not much help really, sorry.

Well, that's more than I knew

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 11 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its chinese lantern isnt it..a type of physalis but I dont think its edible...I love them my ex MIL gave me some but they died

editied to add. apparently its poisonous when unripe, but can be eaten when ripe..

https://www.buzzle.com/articles/chinese-lantern-plant.html

Mithril

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 11 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lettucewoman wrote:
its chinese lantern isnt it..a type of physalis but I dont think its edible...I love them my ex MIL gave me some but they died

editied to add. apparently its poisonous when unripe, but can be eaten when ripe..

https://www.buzzle.com/articles/chinese-lantern-plant.html

Oh, thanks for this.

I'll probably tell her to leave it as I'm not sure how to tell when it's ripe.

darkbrowneggs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 11 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often bought seed and grown them - if the seed is left around it will self set and come up year after year if warm enough.

When they are really ripe the little paper lanterns fall off, but you can pick them a bit before that. I don't know if they are poisonous when unripe, but you would be unlikely to eat them - the memory is making my mouth pucker up now.

Of course I have no idea if there are different types within the family, but from the photo they look pretty similar to the ones I have grown

More info here

All the best
Sue

Mithril

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 11 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkbrowneggs wrote:
I have often bought seed and grown them - if the seed is left around it will self set and come up year after year if warm enough.

When they are really ripe the little paper lanterns fall off, but you can pick them a bit before that. I don't know if they are poisonous when unripe, but you would be unlikely to eat them - the memory is making my mouth pucker up now.

Of course I have no idea if there are different types within the family, but from the photo they look pretty similar to the ones I have grown

More info here

All the best
Sue

Thanks - will definitely stick to admiring their looks

I do fancy growing some tomatillos though and maybe some cape gooseberries too.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 11 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown both tomatillos and cape gooseberries in the polytunnel with great success - too much success on the part of the tomatillos. We quite liked them made into salsa or just plain roasted and I made a passable relish and, I think, a jam. But TBH we had shedloads and ended up composting them. BIG mistake. The seeds appear indestructible and the blighters are now coming up all over the veg plot

Cape gooseberries are a different matter though and we'll eat those raw or better still dipped in plain chocolate. They are supposed to make a lovely jam so I'm hoping to get enough this year to try that.

I managed to overwinter one cape gooseberry in the polytunnel (cut back and covered with several layers of bubble wrap) and others in the house (they had self seeded late and were not therefore too big) Beware though, like their big brother, the tomatillo, they self seed easily.

Mithril

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 11 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Rosie wrote:
I've grown both tomatillos and cape gooseberries in the polytunnel with great success - too much success on the part of the tomatillos. We quite liked them made into salsa or just plain roasted and I made a passable relish and, I think, a jam. But TBH we had shedloads and ended up composting them. BIG mistake. The seeds appear indestructible and the blighters are now coming up all over the veg plot

Cape gooseberries are a different matter though and we'll eat those raw or better still dipped in plain chocolate. They are supposed to make a lovely jam so I'm hoping to get enough this year to try that.

I managed to overwinter one cape gooseberry in the polytunnel (cut back and covered with several layers of bubble wrap) and others in the house (they had self seeded late and were not therefore too big) Beware though, like their big brother, the tomatillo, they self seed easily.

I shall definitely have a go. Love the sound of the cape gooseberry in particular, or maybe it's the thought of an excuse for more chocolate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive