Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
problems with mink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 12:32 am    Post subject: problems with mink Reply with quote

hi, I am a new member, i hunt a lot of rabits in the Dublin mountains and have recently come across mink for the first time, they are long ferret like beasts, very fast, just wanted to start a thread about them...cheers

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our forums I am sure someone here will know something about Mink

cab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little animals, a complete sod in the wild here, though The damage they've done to populations of water voles (they're not the only factor on the water voles decline, not by a long way, but they're a big player) has been most depressing.

How bad is the problem with them over in Ireland?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would they be escapees from Irish fur farms then or have they got there from mainland GB?

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently read Alan Beat's A Start in Smallholding and there was a couple of pages in it about his experiences with mink, would it help if I look it up for you, Irishwolfe?

irishwolfe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 05 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people, i think they are escapees, there are some nasty ways of trapping them, apparently, you put a piece of pipe vertically into the ground with a piece of meat in the bottom, mink goes in after the meat but cant turn to get out and dies of exaustion or starvation, this is how the farmers here are dealing with it. pretty nasty, they are far to elusive to shoot though.

macatsuma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 05 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mink will take any thing it can get hold of much like a fox, in our valley we have had two episodes where animal rights types broke into the (now nonexistant) mink farm and let them go, they then swept through the valley killing everything in their path, even going into houses to take pets.
Shooting is, as you say virtually impossible, but there are a number of articles out there on trapping, particularly www.gct.org.uk who have a "how to make your own traps" section

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 05 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reakon i could shoot either of our local resident girls , i am sure they would be replaced . like rabbits , all species are newcomers round here the ice cleared the surface and left a clear space to be colonised .three for a hat .

hils

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 05 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a 'creature' where I am and I'm not sure what it is! I think it may be a pinemarten but am not sure! Its quite big - small ferret springs to mind. It is a foxy colour with a white bib. I've only seen it once. The fallen fruit has lots of double teeth marks - a few weeks back even pears still left on the trees had these teeth marks. We were initially putting the fallen ones down to rabbits. Now I'm not sure. My dad has seen it once chasing a rabbit which dissappeared into trees then he heard the rabbit screaming...
Any ideas?

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 05 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably mink but not certainly ,check the paw prints ,mink is distinctive .

hils

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 05 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out what my mystery creature is!
My uncle saw a stand in Postman come drive along the lane in May (there is a shared private lane to get to the property) and stop by a hedge and empty something out of a canvas bag. That night he saw what he thinks was a ferret. The neighbours about 1/4 mile away were getting a nasty smell from under their shed. This turned out to be where it was taking its kills.
So I need to get more clued up on my mink/pinemarten/polecat/ferret type creatures!

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 05 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My folks have a mink problem (SW Ireland, Kerry) and I've seen them there in broad daylight. Our Jack Russel used to corner them and call until my dad went to kill the little b*g*e*s although he was more than happy to deal with rats. I worry that one will get into my birds run as it's right by a stream which provides water for the ducks and I know they're around here.

dpack: if I caught any I'd consider your remark of '3 for a hat'! Especially just now: it's freezing out there!

saffranne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 05 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately a friend of mine has just lost 60 hens and chicks and about 20 fantail doves due to minks,all the breeding stock for next year has gone,and the damage was done in about a week and a half

they basically had their head rip off'all very unpleasant,and the culprit is still at large

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 05 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep: vicious little s*ds, aren't they? Mind you, I'd be vicious is people were all after my hide!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive