links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Don't use Bark chippings with chickens

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 04 10:10 am    Post subject: Don't use Bark chippings with chickens Reply with quote

I know a few people have thought about using bark chippings in muddy runs this time of year, so I thought this is worth mentioning as I've never heard it.

In this months Country Smallholding (see links) in the Vet's Forum she mentions that bark chippings harbour the mould aspergillus which can be a killer of birds.

She points out that wood chippings should be used and never bark.

While I don't use bark for the chickens' house and run, I do have the odd path but I will not be overly worried as the chickens don't spend much time on them.

(I recommend the magazine for any new people to smallholding)

Tristan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 04 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the recommendation about country smallholding, Alan Beat writes some great articles, try www.countrysmallholding.com.

Bark chips act like a sponge and so get wetter then the ground below, great to go a. over h. on. Try a local tree surgeon for woodchips, but ask for oak, beech, ash or walnut as these don't soak up water like softwoods.

Tristan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive