Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Anyone in Herefordshire?

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 2:45 pm    Post subject: Anyone in Herefordshire? Reply with quote

Hello downsizers,

We have the option to move to North Herefordshire, I am trying to get a feel what I would be like for a couple of cynical hippie types with two busy little girls moving into the area.

My husband is an Organic grower and would like to start his own market garden, would anyone living in North Herefordshire feel there is an appetite for this sort of produce?

Any thoughts welcome.

Xxxxx

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're don't live in the area but we love the county and we try to get down there just as often as we can. Its very rural and is built around farming communities. Its right up my street and will almost certainly be up yours too.

We tend to stay around here https://www.broomefarmhouse.co.uk/ but we also like the Leominster area too.

darkbrowneggs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herefordshire is a lovely county, and the north is nice and rural, though I haven't actually lived there.

There is a thriving town market which runs in Ludlow, and that might be a good outlet for anything you produced, plus there is at least one wholesale organic vegetable marketing company who might take your produce.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place has lots of market gardeners, and top prices will be hard to get. Lots of lovely, friendly people but not cosmopolitan. People are shocked, genuinely shocked, when I explain I can easily go to Manchester for a days work. Its like I've been to the moon.

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
People are shocked, genuinely shocked, when I explain I can easily go to Manchester for a days work. Its like I've been to the moon.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was joking. They make a big thing about having no real motorway, but it has an impact. Monoculture is not just about what people grow.

Castle Farm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on the border near Hay-on Wye and I earn a living as a head gardener (part time) and have a 16 acre small holding.

Turning your dream into a reality will be very uphill, as anyone moving into an area has to break into an already full market place and market gardening is a weather and pest related occupation. Herefordshire is a very good place for growing, but I think you will need a day job to survive. Property prices around here are average to high as land is going up in value cause thier not making any more of it

meg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some land available for us to use and we have some money to buy more if we can find some in the right area. For us the question is how easy will it be to get the market garden up and running and how easy will it be for the kids to break into the local community . It's a commitment to be there for the next 15 years so all their growing up time.

woodsprite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from north Herefordshire! PM me if you have specific questions and I'd be happy to answer any I can. :0)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive