links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
attractive edibles for tubs in front garden
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

Location: thrapston gardening foraging or preserving in the kitchen or eating of course
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 8:00 am    Post subject: attractive edibles for tubs in front garden  Reply with quote    

I'm dissapointed with my tubs this year, nastursiums and callendulas look terrible. I've got 2 lrg tin baths and other recycled containers out the front so want to grow attractive edibles.

Tried cucumbers with poor results any tips?

I've also read begonias semperflorens taste ok.

Panseys are good in winter and frilly lettuce and orach work well, thought about tumbling toms over the sides any other ideas please.

Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Peas and beans have lovely flowers and can take advantage of vertical space.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

We've a tub full of chives out side the back door which come back ever year with very little input.

cassy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

How about grain amaranths? Quinoa probably gets too tall for a small tub but the amaranths should be ok. The more ornamental ones have been used as bedding plants.

judith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Dwarf runners are pretty (Hestia?). And a lot of the brassicas look great too as foliage plants - particularly cavolo nero.

Monki magic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Tomatoes are always good. You could also try some chillis, carrots, beetroot, kale. Almost anything will grow in pots just keep them watered, fed and in the sun. It what they want to do (grow). Just pick things that look nice and are not for greenhouse/polytunnel growing.

T.G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Herbs can be very pretty and have edible blossoms

Calendula
Chives
Garlic chives
Lavender
Dill
Fennel

Roses, Violets are also good for looking pretty and can be eaten, well the petals.
Herb blooms of the dandelion, chicory and red clover to name just a few can also be eaten, but not necessarily grown in pots by the door
Even mint blooms are an edible part of any herbal flower garden. They are tasteless but pretty if included in a glass of iced tea, but be aware that mint runs and can strangle other plants.

Katieowl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

What about a pair of blueberry bushes? They like acid soil so tubs is a good place if your garden soil isn't suitable. I might try that myself thinking on!

Kate

yummersetter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

have you seen my huckleberry pics? They're in 12" square tubs with purple beans, peppers and basil plus fuschias, petunias and so on - violas would have been good if I'd thought of it.

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

My blueberries are very happy (productive) in pots. The leaves are turning a beautiful red at the moment and look lovely. If the pot is large apparently alpine strawberries will grow happily with them (I've not tried this).

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Mithril wrote:
My blueberries are very happy (productive) in pots. The leaves are turning a beautiful red at the moment and look lovely. If the pot is large apparently alpine strawberries will grow happily with them (I've not tried this).

Alpine strawbs grow happily/rampantly under my blueberries that are in an open fruit plot.

Marts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 11 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'm growing OCA this year in small potato bags and it's thriving - it also looks beautiful.

Another option is a sweet Pepper like Pompeii

Gavin Bl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 11 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

gil wrote:
Alpine strawbs grow happily/rampantly under my blueberries that are in an open fruit plot.

Are alpine and wild strawbs the same thing, or at least, similar?

Mithril

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 11 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Gavin Bl wrote:
gil wrote:

Are alpine and wild strawbs the same thing, or at least, similar?

As far as I'm aware they are the same.

Vanessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 11 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Mini-pop sweetcorn, too ... can go in VERY closely planted and still produce very well (seen in the gardens at Lytes Cary on a "behind the scenes" visit with our village garden club). They had lots of large pots planted up with mixed veggies, and they looked stunning! A few flowers interspersed "to aid pollination" (the head gardener's words)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive