Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Autumn onions - pros and cons?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 11 9:21 pm    Post subject: Autumn onions - pros and cons? Reply with quote

I'm deciding whether to plant some autumn onion sets; my spring sets failed miserably (poss too dry) but I've never planted them in the autumn before and not sure whether it's worth it or not - any opinions???

Bernie66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 11 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Thry don't generally keep as well as spring sown onions but they keep a few months. Stick em in now with garlic and they'll do well.

Paul Sill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 11 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found as that i could harvest them a couple of days before i planted my runner beans. started the beans in paper pots, as i am lacking in space, 2 different crops from the same space is really good.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 11 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Japanese onions (Keepwell F1) are just germinating. I grow them in containers (3 to a 10l pot) in the greenhouse. They finish just when the tomatoes need the space (June sometime). This is when my stored onions are finished (sprouting) and the maincrop are just beginning to swell.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 11 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grow mine in the polytunnel because outdoor winter crops are a bit hit and miss here. They do well, especially those planted on the west side. No idea why that should be though.

Vanessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 11 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
My Japanese onions (Keepwell F1) are just germinating. I grow them in containers (3 to a 10l pot) in the greenhouse. They finish just when the tomatoes need the space (June sometime). This is when my stored onions are finished (sprouting) and the maincrop are just beginning to swell.

That's a brilliant tip, OC!

gythagirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 11 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'll get some, and grow half outside in a new (read: undug...) south-facing bed next to the polytunnel, and the other half inside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive