links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Chainsaw proficiency
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 11 8:00 pm    Post subject: Chainsaw proficiency Reply with quote

Evening Downsizers!

Not quite sure if this belongs in make your own or in Land management but anyway - I'm sure the mods will correct me if I'm wrong.

With the addition of our wood burning stove I'm inclined to lay my hands on a chainsaw to facilitiate the chopping in advance of the splitting (which I can manage with a wedge and sledge)

However I'm royally confused as to what course would be appropriate and how much I should be paying for it as I'm disinclined to add myself to yet another list of statistics (and risk damage to eyes, limbs, chickens etc)

Any and all advice much appreciated.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 11 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just cutting logs for yourself, then a course is probably overkill. Just remember the three golden rules:
1) Keep yourself out of the line of the saw.
2) Beware of kickback, and
3) Keep yourself out of the line of the saw.

perlogalism

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 11 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Hairyloon Save the money you'd pay for a course and buy a decent chainsaw (Husqvarna seem to be best, Stihl are easier to find).
If you're only using it infrequently then be advised that synthetic 2 stroke oils deteriorate with age as I found out to my cost!
Try to learn how to sharpen the chain: It's something I'm still pants at

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 11 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perlogalism wrote:
Try to learn how to sharpen the chain: It's something I'm still pants at

Is not difficult. Just need a good file of the right size.

onemanband

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 11 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your confident with machinery then save the course money.
There is lots of info online especially american sites and youtube - search chainsaw techniques.
I've not been on a course but have done plenty of research and consult web when a new tree situation arises. I also know my limits and generally never use a saw in a tree.

Some stuff seems obvious when you know but is essential eg correct way to hold when starting or the saw could rotate into your leg.

And buy a decent saw - Stihl, Husqvarna - it'll start every time and you'll be able to get it serviced / get spares in ten years time.

12Bore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 11 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend the course money on safety kit.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 11 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:
Some stuff seems obvious when you know but is essential eg correct way to hold when starting or the saw could rotate into your leg.

Saw on floor. Left hand on top handle, foot through back handle.
Or top handle in left hand, back handle between legs.
Best to use the first one for the first start of the day, or any time it is being a pig to start.

Did I mention to keep your body out of the line of the saw?
And put the chain-brake on when you are moving.

Kenworth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 11 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you invest in leather boots, lace them up and tuck the strings in the top, pulling pants down over laces.

If you have long hair, keep it out of the way.

Obviously don't saw wearing shorts. Chips fly and can go everywhere.

If you feel comfortable wearing gloves, only wear gloves that can provide a good grip on the safety bar and handle.

Any time the saw has to be set down, please turn it OFF. They can vibrate and move into dangerous situations.

If you have a lot of wood to cut, start out slow, because the vibration and weight of the machine will wear and tear on your body quicker than you can imagine.

These are the minimal safety recommendations that I can think of off the top of my head that may not be mentioned anyplace else.

Oh yes, when you are cutting wood, if at all possible, let someone know what you are up to for safety's sake.

It's not hard, just take precautions and go in a safe manner. If I can cut wood, so can you.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 11 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For God's sake invest money in some Kevlar trousers and gauntlets, strong workboots and either googles or helmet with visor.
If you use a chainsaw regularly sooner or later something will happen.
We cut about 5 ton of wood a year (we have 2 woodburners as our main heat source).

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 11 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar safety minded note, I always keep my mobile phone with me when I am working alone on site or out of the way. If anythiung happens to me hopefully I will be able to call for help.

And keep out of the line of the chain at all times, through 360 drgrees. Don't bend over it when it is on or when starting the machine. Don't have it inline from you when using it. Don't be tempted to stretch when using it as a kickback is hard to control at a stretch. And if you think the out of line advice is OTT there are many people who did not follow that rule with injuries.

Second the advice on Kevlar/Chainsaw pants and gloves, they do work as I found out once.

Stay safe and take extra care.

sg

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 11 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
For God's sake invest money in some Kevlar trousers and gauntlets, strong workboots and either googles or helmet with visor.
If you use a chainsaw regularly sooner or later something will happen.
We cut about 5 ton of wood a year (we have 2 woodburners as our main heat source).

Defiantely.

I would say chainsaw wellies too, the ones with the metal plate in the front.

Do not even think about starting the saw until you have these things.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 11 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumbling goat wrote:
Second the advice on Kevlar/Chainsaw pants and gloves, they do work as I found out once.

Except they are not kevlar.

madmonk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 11 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that technically it is not a saw but a chisel, it will not cut your flesh but gouge it.

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 11 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmonk wrote:
Just keep in mind that technically it is not a saw but a chisel, it will not cut your flesh but gouge it.

That is such a relief to know, and much less serious.

sg

madmonk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 11 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you SG I know that the safety gear works, unfortunately in France our nearest A&E is about 45K away. I was taught by a chap that taught firemen and apparently there are two types of trouser, padded on the front only for if you work alone, and padded back and front if you are working with other users.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive