Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
walnut butter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

Location: thrapston gardening foraging or preserving in the kitchen or eating of course
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 11 7:51 pm    Post subject: walnut butter Reply with quote

just made my first walnut butter to use up glut of walnuts. made some blended with apple delicious! any other ideas for blends people have tried.please.

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 11 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm walnut apple butter?? plese tell me more... like how to make it!
Tonight I'm having pan-fried chicory and walnuts, finished off with a bit of red leicester grated in at the end to soak up all the juices and go really sticky-delicious.. with my latest food craze- oven roasted carrots and onions with cumin and some pink fir apple spuds from the garden...
plus a little glass of red wine ( cos I deserve it... )omg it'll be ready in 5...

rachelk

Location: thrapston gardening foraging or preserving in the kitchen or eating of course
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 11 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walnut butter is simple just puree them in a blender add pieces of apple and blend to taste. lovely in a granary roll with salad.

Effie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 11 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it keep in the fridge once you've blended it into butter?

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 11 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that. I can now go to bed tonight secure in the knowledge of what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!

I copied the walnut chicory idea from a friend last weekend. we were chatting about layering similar flavours in a dish, hence chicory & walnut,
if I had some, a splash of that italian liqueur made from walnuts would be really worth adding..
so are you looking for other flavoured butter recipes or things to do with walnuts? if the latter, then definitely give walnut pesto a whirl, using parsley or even young stinging nettles .Another wild food that works really well with walnuts is dandelion roots, stir fried with an orange or -why not- apple juice dressing.

rachelk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 11 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't keep it refrigerated more than 2 to 3 days from previous catering experience. I'm going to freeze some next week to see what happens.

any uses for walnuts would be good too thank you.

TTouch Homestead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 11 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt this is what the pesky squirrels did with ours...never saw any make it so far- two years running!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive