Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How do you tell a child you've bought a GUN!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 05 3:52 pm    Post subject: How do you tell a child you've bought a GUN!!! Reply with quote

Having drummed into our 5yr and 3yr old children than guns are BAD....and saying 'I'm going to GUN you' is not nice.

How do we explain to them that Daddy has got a nice new air rifle from Santa??

Any suggestions welcomed!

Pete

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 05 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you spend between now and Santa's delivery slot pointing out at regular intervals that guns are particularly bad when pointed at people, but that in certain circumstances they can carefully be used to obtain dinner, but only if the person using it does so with lots of care and attention??

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 05 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threaten to shoot anyone who points out any inconsistencies in your arguments.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 05 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Threaten to shoot anyone who points out any inconsistencies in your arguments.

No help at all, but still highly amusing

2steps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 05 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sally. perhaps you could talk to them about the difference uses of guns - as a weapon or as a tool.

I had a simular issue recently having alway taught my children it is wrong to kill something. Don't know if this will be any help. I had always intended to keep chickens for eggs and meat and we are planning to have one of our birds for xmas dinner. I didn't want to just do it and not tell them so we discussed it and they accepted it (they are 8 and 4) they have always known that the meat they eat is dead animals so I suppose they see it as not much different.

Maybe it would help to introduce them to the idea of hunting before they know about the gun?

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 05 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was raised a huntin', shootin' and fishin' gal and was always surrounded by guns from year dot. I was the youngest and the only girl in a family of boys, but it made no difference to my father, who plonked in a gun in one of my hands and a rod in the other from a very young age. However, it was my eldest brother's job to teach me safety at all times regarding guns and also the reason for shooting and fishing - to eat of course.

My late father was a very peaceful man and very anti violence, war etc. and always seemed to be able to get the difference across to us kids between using guns for eating and using them as weapons. One of my earliest memories is of seeing rabbits, pigeons and pheasants hanging outside our back door.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that kids, even very young kids, are much brighter than we give them credit for. If you clearly explain the difference between using guns to eat and guns to hurt others, they'll understand perfectly well - which i'm sure is what you will do.

Just press home the safety issue - and get them used to handling guns as early and as safely as possible. Our Jack has had his own gun since he was 8.

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 05 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all for your constructive comments.

Pete

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 05 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my eldest runs a shoot with her granpa ,she just accepted that dinner can be had at gunpoint . she is training to be a midwife so she isnt a stone killer gangster . be honest and explain meat is dead animal and well hunted critters dont know what hit them . teach them safe firearm handling as soon as they are able to use the gun and please lock it up when you are not there . kids will play and unfortunatly accidents (mistakes)do happen . even a non fac air weapon can kill people if the shot hits the wrong spot .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive