Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Handling sheep while (person is) pregnant?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 5:52 pm    Post subject: Handling sheep while (person is) pregnant? Reply with quote

Hi all

My friend has a small hobby mixed flock of sheep, they were planning on trying lambing them this year but she discovered she is pregnant so they have decided against that.

But she is confused about what is and isn't safe in terms of going near sheep when pregnant - the GP says she should be ok to feed them etc, but the midwife says that she should keep well away from them as she could catch listeria/listeriosis.

She has asked me what I know on this, but although I have kept sheep quite a few years, I have no idea on safety in pregnancy! Apart from that you have to be careful of toxoplasmosis , but maybe that's mostly for lambing?

Can someone advise please? Her hubby tends to be away on business every now and then so she will sometimes need to go and feed them if at all possible - not sure if she needs to use rubber gloves etc or not worry as long as she washes her hands?

Thanks!
Alex

Marionb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think lambing time is the dangerous time, if a pregnant woman comes into contact with the lambing fluids etc.

Normal day to day jobs like feeding should be fine... she may need to take care not to get knocked over by over boisterous hungry sheep when she has a bump though.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember wossname on emmerdale farm losing a baby due to fiddling with pregnant sheep. This is not a documentary, however.

Pel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would see if she is immune against toxoplasmosis, as I understood it to be this is the main one to do with lambing. She would just need a blood test to see if she is, though when I had the bloods taken at 8 weeks (which is the first lot of bloods that are taken when you become pregnant) they automatically checked for it.
If she is immune then if she really needs to help with lambing than at least this is one less thing to worry about, but if she can avoid lambing that would be best. Otherwise wear overalls, gloves and wellies and shower down well afterwards, and put clothes and overalls in a hot wash after, maybe get some else to touch them or use two sticks to pick them up and put in wash.
If she isn't immune don't go anywhere near the sheep at lambing, it would be horrid to think of what could happen (it might not, but something could).

Agree with Marionb, all should be fine for general handling, just watch out for being bumped into by sheep.
She could carry a little bottle of sterile hand wash, so every time after handling sheep (or doing anything grubby), she could wash her hands (i did this after someone else pointed it out to me... I think it may have been Dot).
Cae seemed to turn out fine, and I handled lots of different sheep whilst pregnant with him, but didn't lamb anything.
It might be different if the pregnancy is high risk though.

Last edited by Pel on Wed Dec 07, 11 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's particularly the pregnant ewes but as they are not going to be then good normal hygiene should be fine.

Nell Merionwen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When working with and around sheep I was told it was the hormones that complicate things.
no idea if this is right though

milkmaid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was young enough it would be a no no for me, husbands lambing should put their own washing from lambing in the machine as well .it's the lambing fluids that are the problem ,it's a parasite that is the problem i would probably be near sheep but not lambing and many be not handling

Last edited by milkmaid on Wed Dec 07, 11 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Louisdog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. As they aren't lambing this year now, sounds like she should be ok.

I will mention about the blood test for toxoplasmosis in case they can do that for her, be good to know wouldn't it.

I hadn't thought about the physical side of handling the sheep, and getting bumped around. Luckily hers are much more polite and skittish than mine, which like to surge forward as one to knock me when I go and feed the blighters!

Cheers
Alex

Edited to add: I should probably be a good friend and go round and feed them for her when her hubby is away really...

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marionb wrote:
I think lambing time is the dangerous time, if a pregnant woman comes into contact with the lambing fluids etc.

Normal day to day jobs like feeding should be fine... she may need to take care not to get knocked over by over boisterous hungry sheep when she has a bump though.

That's the best, most succinct advice on the matter. Our midwife was a lot more sensible than many on the subject.

Louisdog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems like it's really hard to tell when the advice is sensible and when it's tending towards being OTT just to cover themselves - sounds like the same with all pregnancy topics, not just sheep, from what I can gather.

VSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
Our midwife was a lot more sensible than many on the subject.

I think it depends on where you are based. Round here, virtually everyone has sheep including the midwife, so she was able to give very down to earth sensible advice.

Do remember though, that it's not just the sheep pregnant women need to avoid at lambing time - you shouldn't be handling dirty overalls and such like either.

T.G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 11 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When recently pregnant with Max, our consultant told me to stay clear of sheep and goats completely.

She said the risk was greater at times of lambing kidding but as they don't fully understand the triggers that can cause miscarriage then unless it was absolutely necessary one shouldn't handle sheep/goats at anytime whilst pregnant.

Basically she felt it really wasn't worth the associated risk, however, I am deemed a high risk to miscarry so maybe she advised more cautiously in this knowledge?

Mutton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 11 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to remember seeing somewhere that pregnant women should also avoid cat litter trays due to toxoplasmosis risk.

Possibly means there is risk from chicken muck as well. No idea, just might be worth asking.

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 11 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely avoid cats, sheep seem to get the blame when I reckon cats are the more likely source...

chez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 11 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shepherd who helps with Ma's sheep loathes stray cats. He says that they are responsible for giving the toxioplasmosis to the sheep by crapping in the barns; and that causes the sheep to slip - and that is what gets passed on to the human handlers, with the same results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive