Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
English mistletoe in bulk!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 05 3:38 pm    Post subject: English mistletoe in bulk! Reply with quote

I'm not really sure that you could use this much mistletoe, but for £18 inc postage, it might be a nice thing for anyone holding a Christmas event to buy in and sell at a small profit?

https://www.mistletoe.org.uk/temeclubandshop.htm#Mistletoebulkpack

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 05 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A nice little earner" - A. Daly

Am I right in thinking that deliberate propagation (by smearing berries on bark?) is very hit or miss?

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 05 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly hasn't worked for me - I read you should do it on the underneath of branches, as the rain drips down and keeps it moist for germination. But birds would neither wipe their beak nor, er, depost processed seed on the underneath, so that doesn't seem to fit.

I normally get a bunch from the market but wonder where it comes from...and I don't need it because I won't let anyone but TD kiss me!

cab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ethical for me to pick some from the wild? It's common as muck in these parts, so I wouldn't have thought a sprig would matter...

Will

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea's Biodiversity Action Plan no less:

5.1 Legal Status
Mistletoe is protected through the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended). It may
not be uprooted without the permission of the landowner. Host trees can be protected
through the application of a Tree Preservation Order.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
not be uprooted without the permission of the landowner.

Does it have roots and would taking a small piece class as uprooting? Still always best to get permission IMHO.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 05 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want some native berries, MIL has an orchard dripping with it, I can post you some berries after Christmas. Apparently a lot of the stuff for sale is ffrom the continent, and won't grow on our trees.

fred@yurtevents.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 12 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting to note - If you want some to buy some mistletoe, i recommend you get in touch with these guys - they have a nice website and well worth a look - i think they source their mistletoe from a charity that looks after orchards in Worcestershire - they cut the mistletoe to enhance the orchard and also the mistletoe - with permission of course! www.mistletoeforsale.co.uk

wizz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 12 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of a double take when I started reading this and saw dougal. Then I realised it's a resurected thread and was started in 2005.....

by the way welcome to the site fred... why don't you come and introduce yourself in the "welcome section" ? (We don't bite - usually )

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 12 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should keep a record of thread necromancy. I reckon this would be a contender.

But welcome to the forum fred

Tania

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 12 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
If you want some native berries, MIL has an orchard dripping with it, I can post you some berries after Christmas. Apparently a lot of the stuff for sale is ffrom the continent, and won't grow on our trees.

Bugger - I just brought some from the market last week and spread them over a few trees - brought mum some 'seeds' a few years ago and thought none had taken and was going to take down the markers and found that two had taken on the same branch - of course s0ds law they are moving soon!

It must have taken a good 2/3 years for it to take and show up as leaves.

So I guess you need patience and lots of it!

Mithril

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 12 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just completed a survey on the whereabouts of local mistletoe - I think it's all above board!

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 12 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tons of the damn stuff. FOC for anyone who wants to collect. And possibly head up a ladder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive