Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bulgaria
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 12 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
I didn't pick Marmite randomly, you know.

I'm probably coming over in February. I can smuggle some over and post it if you're short.

I don't believe it is restricted, why would you have to smuggle it?

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 12 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggage space and weight is restricted. If my wife finds out...

Bulgarianlily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 12 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try and remember to ask if there is something very small I need desparately, are you coming anywhere near us?

Duckhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 12 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to buy a cheap, less than 1000 Eu car, for a while now. I saw a load of likely examples lately in front of a car selling place. I asked the boss about one of them and he said no. "They aren't fit for the road in Italy so we are sending them to Bulgaria". I asked again and he refused to sell it to me. He said he would make more money sending them to Bulgaria. Whats that all about then?

Duckhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 12 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminds me of when my mate used to give lodgings to Russians that were sending Skodas back to Russia

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 12 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgarianlily wrote:
Thanks, I will try and remember to ask if there is something very small I need desparately, are you coming anywhere near us?

If we come, Bansko, but it's a big if currently.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 12 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgarianlily wrote:

Alternatively, if you can find enough customers for a van-load...

Bulgarianlily

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 12 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if you come to Bansko, and we will meet up for a meal maybe? That is only 40 mins away.

Bulgaria is currently awash with old rhd 4x4 from the UK, adding to the dangers of mad drivers overtaking on blind bends.... in the last seven years our village has gone from three old russian trucks and a handful of ladas to 10 times that many cars, mainly old vw golfs.

troyannick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 12 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point Lil but its the drivers that are dangerous not the cars Ive seen about 10 crashes in the last couple of months all due to driving too fast on icy roads, theres something about Bulgarians and cars, they are such calm and careful people but put them behind a steering wheel........

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 12 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you drive on the right over there, so British cars are not so clever?

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 12 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do, and the police stop you with ping pong bats when yo speed, and fine you. I got hit for over a fiver when I got a tug. No receipt, or paperwork was offered, and I thought it inappropriate to ask.

troyannick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 12 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you havent done anything wrong dont give the cops any money, you can ask to pay fines in the correct office in town and try and waste as much of their time as possible by acting daft, they more often than not get fed up. However if you are speeding and they have the camera with your speed which they will show you then a fiver aint too bad, no points and off you go.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 12 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33 in a 30, not carrying my passport, and either hand over a fiver, or go with them, neither of us speaking a word or the others language, to the police station 30 miles away, during a holiday. I paid, and chalked it up to experience. Reckon they had a few beers on me that night.

troyannick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 12 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway to get back to downsizing which is what the website is about Bulgaria offers a great opportunity for real downsizing and organic self sufficiency on a level which you will struggle to find anywhere else in Europe.You can still buy a house with a chunk of land for 10 grand downwards, I can go to our community wheely bin and it will be more empty than the last time I went there, nothing is wasted.We save all our scraps for the various animals, anything combustible is burned, plastic bottlles are reused which only really leaves plastic packaging which we dont have a lot of.Our bin got emptied once in 4 months and it wasnt even half full.

Went

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 12 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great but a big challenge and culture swap along the way no doubt. Not everyone can hack it. Many people come to this part of Spain to do just that but find it a real struggle and much harder work than first anticipated. I wish you well, it sounds as though you are fitting in well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive