links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
My daughters are as daft as me!
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 12 11:11 pm    Post subject: My daughters are as daft as me! Reply with quote

My gran gave me her antique Singer hand cranked sewing machine when I was younger, and a few years ago I paid to get it restored. Since then I've sewed up various things including dog blankets, clothing alterations, curtain hems and even a "Shite Shirt".....

So my daughters enjoyed using the old machine too.... and there was beginning to be a bit of competition for its use.

Sooooooooo..... I thought I'd buy them each their own on ebay! I emailed each of the sellers to find out more about each machine I bid on and finally won 3 auctions. The first machine arrived yesterday and two more today!

And they all work! And one has been dated to 1891 (sorry make that 1892 - I mustn't have been listening properly last night! ) using the serial number - the other 2 are both 1939. (And mine is 1934).

These really are a steal at the moment. T he /i]one cost £55 and the others £40 and £25! You couldn't buy a new machine for that - AND it wouldn't sew such heavy duty materials!

Anyway the girls are all totally chuffed (obviously as mad/sad as their mother) and projects are taking over the house!

Can't wait til the next rainy weekend!

Last edited by Sally Too on Sat Feb 11, 12 8:01 am; edited 3 times in total

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 12 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant !
Hope they all have many years of enjoyment and use from their Singers.

Sally Too

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 12 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I seriously think these will out last anything new that could be bought today!

And they are so easy to use.

cir3ngirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 12 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hand crank machine goes places I would never even try to get my electric machine. Where did you find out about age from serial numbers please

joanne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 12 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My singer is a converted version - no idea how old it is but it was my Nannas and the very first machine I learnt to sew on - even now when I get it out of it's box the smell of the machine oil etc takes me right back to being a little girl - it's a wonderful machine and I'll never get rid of it even if it does weigh a ton

Sally Too

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 12 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ages can be found here: https://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

The interesting thing is the old one is more than 50 years older than the other 3 and the design is basically the same. Some very minor modifications but you wouldn't see a product staying essentially the same now for 50 years plus!

joanne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 12 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine https://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm

I always thought it was older than that but it looks like my Nanna bought it more or less new - no wonder it's still going strong - I still have the instruction book and manual and all the attachments

gz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 12 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is 1921. Where would I get it overhauled- I think the lower tension needs attention (as with the modern Singers I've owned) (is this a Singer fault?)

no pun intended

Sally Too

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 12 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in N.Ireland - so even if I could remember the name of the man, it wouldn't be much help.... (a friend was getting hers done and took mine along too).

As to the lower tension thing: Ours have the shuttle bobbin underneath and this has no tension adjustment. However it doesn't work right if you put the bobbin in the wrong way around.

If you hold the shuttle (bullet shaped) facing down with the opening at the top. The bobbin should have the thread coming from left to right across the front of the bobbin as you slide it in. Then you do that wee wiggly thing to get the thread in the right spot before putting the shuttle back in its carriage underneath.

This makes the thread quite stiff to pull through, but there is no other adjustment. The upper thread is then adjusted and it's tension keeps the bottom thread right.

Of course all of that is assuming you have a shuttle bobbin and not the more modern circular shaped one........

gz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 12 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...I'll have a play later

baldybloke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 12 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick to my Frister Rosman.

frewen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 12 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
Mine is 1921. Where would I get it overhauled- I think the lower tension needs attention (as with the modern Singers I've owned) (is this a Singer fault?)

no pun intended

Not with the old ones - although someone may have fiddled with it in the past.

What is it doing that is shouldn't gz?

and old handcranks are ace I love all of mine

Sally Too

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 12 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frewen wrote:

and old handcranks are ace I love all of mine

All? How many is ALL?

frewen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 12 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two treadles (15k 201k) , one head that is awaiting a table (15k) , and three table tops (one which needs a new handcrank handle).

I seriously downsized my machines last year ...

I also kept 2 old singer electrics ... a 221 and a 201

and I have button holers, zigzaggers, and pattern cams ....

I have a problem

Sally Too

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 12 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - noooo problem i would say! Much more useful than collecting say handbags or party shoes or something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive