Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bees Butterflies and Blooms
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 12 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, only just found this - looks worth catching up with on iPlayer...

I love this pdf too: https://www.dunscar.com/imgs%20download/BeeMenu1.pdf

Its a "bee menu" of suggestions of what to plant all year round so the bees don't just have the summer flowers

robkb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 12 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
Sarah Raven. Suprise suprise, she's already got a book out to go with the series.
https://www.sarahraven.com/shop/sarah-raven-s-wild-flowers.html

To be fair, the book came out several months ago, and is seriously good (rubbish as a field guide though - it's huge).

yummersetter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 12 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favourite book on planting for bees

Bee Plants
by Martin Crawford
2000. ISBN 1-874275-22-X. A4, 111 pages.
A directory giving details of over 1050 species which are of use to bees, both wild and hive. Details include time of year of benefit (eg flowering for nectar production), type of benefit (nectar, pollen, honeydew etc.), siting requirements etc.

12 from https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/publorders.html

Bodger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 12 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Yummersetter.

Do any of you have the time, space and inclination to have a go at growing some wildlife friendly flowers and plants this year? I think its worth a go and has got to be better than doing nothing and waiting for others to do it.
As a first step towards doing my bit, I nipped into Home Bargains this morning and bought these.

At 1.49p a packet, I think its a good start. I've checked out E-bay and there are what looks to be some good deals around for single variety wildflower seeds. I'll be ordering some in the next week or so.
You know very well that I'm going to bore the pants off you with this project, so come on, see what you can do.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 12 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed last week's show but saw the 2nd, last night - I thought it was excellent and I really really hope the 'wildflowering' of our cities is taken up with enthusiasm all over the country.

And I guess I'll be buying some more seeds this spring after all...

gythagirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 12 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, just checked and it seems I missed both the previous episodes & just caought number 3...better catch up on i-player!

I grow a lot of bee-friendly stuff and have been 'meaning' to get round to having a wifdlower area in our small paddock, where our polytunnel, chooks and bee hives are. If all I needed to do was sprinkle seeds it would be done already, but I admit I've been putting it off as I know it'll be a lot of work stripping turf, rotovating and raking...

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 12 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to look and see if there's any chance of hiring one of those machines that strips turf off.
Last night I watched the third and final programme of the series. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the series and I have all three recorded. They'll be used as a reference and for the occasional dose of inspiration. IMO, Bees, Butterflies and Blooms has been one of the best series on the telly for sometime. We now have a planting programme for around our place.

Haze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 12 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any land to grow bee and butterfly friendly plants but perhaps I can try growing some in a container and hanging it up out of the hens' way.
I've also recorded the series on Iplayer, something to watch tonight

Mithril

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 12 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the last one on iPlayer. I really enjoyed the series. Very inspiring I was already planning to plant some wild flowers in the grass round the back but I think I'll extend my plans to the front garden as well - a corner at least.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 12 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now watched the first 2 programmes (whilst baking!) and overall very impressed - taking on the Britain in Bloom Bedding bods is brave indeed!

Bodger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 12 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you suffer from Hay Fever, then don't bother coming to our place this year. I popped back back into Home bargains yesterday to find that they'd restocked their shelves with some different boxes of seeds from the same range as my earlier purchase. I couldn't resist temptation and came away two more, one described as the ' Blue Garden and the other, as 'British Wildflowers'. I thought it was rather good of me to have left the 'Yellow Garden' on the shelf.

I've already pesuaded one or two friends in the village to buy some, so the Sarah Raven programme has definately gained some converts here.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 12 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We said that we'd do it and last week, we planted two boxes of the 'Home Bargains' wildflower seeds in this bed that we'd prepared.

This morning, we planted Ragged Robins, Harebells and Foxgloves in these trays.

These are all sun flowers.

We've also got loads of other bee friendly flowers on the go.

If the weather is kind to us, then next week, we're going to strip the turf off ready for an even bigger wildflower patch.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 12 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manage to hire a turf stripper, Bodger?

Bodger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 12 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of. My youngest sons car suddenly needed new tryres on it and mum and dad had to stump up, so he's working his debt off. Thats why the next planting is going to be in an even bigger patch.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 12 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! That's exactly what I need to do - and for more or less the same purpose!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive