Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Farmers' Market price comparison
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 7:04 pm    Post subject: Farmers' Market price comparison Reply with quote

Just out of interest, look at the research I've turned up in the last hour (whilst prevaricating about pickling eggs). Some traders haven't given me prices yet and I am still faffing with vegetables. But I'm surprised myself at how favourably the prices compare.

Last edited by chez on Sun Mar 04, 12 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bebo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're comapring to the 'finest' and 'extra special' or 'free range' though. You can buy much cheaper from the supermarket than that if you aren't fussed about where it came from (as many people aren't).

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those prices look selective, organic butter was £1.50 in Waitrose yesterday so that would make me sceptical about the other prices.

If price was my main concern then I'd be buying BOGOF items as well, which would make supermarkets much cheaper.

chez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, definitely. We are never going to be able to compete against the cheapest ranges and BOGOF. But I reckon that that's not our target market - we want to be looking at convincing the people that buy the mid to top of the range that we are a viable alternative.

No point targeting people who can't afford it or who aren't bothered.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the chart is still selective which seems to deliberately favour the market. If I go to mysupermarket Anchor butter comes up as £1.40 and Asda butter comes up as £1.19 - so how have you chosen the supermarket prices?

chez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone off here:

https://comparesupermarketprices.co.uk/

chez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it's going to be selective - I'm planning on doing this every week and posting it on the website and I just don't have the time to do anything very in-depth. It needs to give a snapshot.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That still shows Asda selling Anchor for £1.40. It probably shows the cheaper prices as well but the site isn't the easiest to use.

sicknote

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to give a valid comparison you need to show like for like comparisons and also from the supermarkets that are available within your catchment area. If you are using Minehead then there is no Asda, Tesco and Morrisons are the closest major supermarkets and Tescos are currently selling 6 Free Range eggs for 89p.

Price comparisons can be very difficult to put across properly and from experience can cause problems and confusion as they don't take into account special offers etc.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is supermarket prices shuffle about all the time as they try to have something they can say they are the cheapest for.

I guess the best you can do is get the prices form the supermarkets themselves and put a date on.

Chickem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than just focusing on the price. How about?
Reasons to buy at a local Farmers Market

Food miles.
Freshness.
Small producers
Quality
Local economy
etc etc....

You'll always get the ones who don't know (advertising helps educate them ) and the ones who don't care.

I think that some people are slowly becomming more aware of the importance of knowing where their food comes from.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 12 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much pork in a ASDA 'special' pork sausage? Might make a difference.

markjadams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 12 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also question the price of a whole free range chicken at £4.50 per Kg.

The Farmers market price seems to low to me, as a free range chicken producer myself it would not be worth trading at that price.

I can say that our duck legs and duck breast are cheaper than the Tesco intensive alternative.

Mark.

chez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 12 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is what our Farmer's Market producer sells them at, Mark.

Sicknote/Jamanda - yes, I agree, we were chatting about this earlier in the week. I am going to do a comparison of the prices on Morrisons and Tescos websites and date them.

As I said upthread, comparing quality like-for-like means that I am justified using the prices of the better quality stuff - so long as I am clear about where I have taken the prices from. We are NEVER going to beat the supermarkets simply on price for their lower priced ranges. We want to be seen as a viable alternative for the higher end stuff, I think.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 12 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
Obviously it's going to be selective - I'm planning on doing this every week and posting it on the website and I just don't have the time to do anything very in-depth. It needs to give a snapshot.
As you should.
Tis no different to what they do every week on the telly.
But you should also highlight Chickems suggestions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive