Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
FISHING GREEK STYLE !

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 12:23 pm    Post subject: FISHING GREEK STYLE ! Reply with quote

I thought that you might find interestinga style of fishing that I saw and tried on the island of Paxos .We took our family holiday in Paxos last September and being the boring sort I took my fishing rod with me .
The locals fished for some of the most gloriously coloured fish that I've ever seen and everything that they caught was destined for the pot .
The method that they used was a new one on me. They used a short nylon trace with about 20 hooks on it spaced out at about one every inch . They then took a biggish lump of the local crusty bread and wrapped the trace around and around it until the crust resembled a prickley hedgehog.
The bread was then cast out into the water of the harbour to float on the surface and all hell would break out . It was just like watching a shoal of Pirhanas on a feeding frenzy . The harbour mullet would impail themselves on the hooks as they tried to get the bread. Sometimes the locals would pull two or three fish out at a time.
This method would never work in this country for one good reason !
In the week that we were on holiday I only ever saw one seagull.
In our harbour at home the gulls would be on your bread in a second .A bit tricky fighting a seagull at 50ft and climbing !

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son once caught a seagul - he was only five and fishing in Pastow. He cast his hook with bread attached and a seagul swooped and took it It took us ages to catch the damn thing, and get the hook out. Luckily no real damage was done. Son was quite frightened at the time, but enjoyed telling everyone about it afterwards

nora

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 12 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but seeing it reminded me of seeing a man fishing on a beach in Rhodes.
He had a washing up bowl, covered with a cloth with a hole about 2" diameter in the middle. In the bowl were lots of small pebbles and a chunk of smelly type of cheese (he used blue cheese). He put it in the water, just paddling distance from the beach, about 6ft-8ft out, then waited.
After about 20 minutes he went and got it out of the water, and inside were loads of tiny fish, like whitebait. He said he was going to shake them in flour then fry them.

Shane

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 12 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's an idea - I snorkelled through a huge shoal of those on Friday, and was wondering how best to tempt a few into my pan...

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 12 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take bread when you snorkel. Hold a bun or a roll in your hand, clench it in your fist to stop it disintegrating. Feed it out at the end of your fist bit by bit as the shoals will gather for a feeding frenzy. The only thing is how to capture the fish?

sg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive