Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Roast potatoes -- the very first time...
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilja are good for roasting.

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something just slightly unusual, that worked...
The peeled & cut spuds (King Edwards) were boiled for nearly 15 minutes, drained - and then allowed to sit, covered, and (actually) go cold. They were turned over a bit to give a 'damaged' surface.
Once everyone had turned up, they went into a hot roasting tin, were basted with hot oil, and put under the *grill*. They were basted a couple of times. Once they started to colour, they were transferred to the oven to finish, while the turkey was out, resting.
It worked. Rather well, actually...

Leonie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the letting them go cold thing makes a difference because this year I prepared my spuds the day before christmas, par-boiled them for 8 minutes, tumbled them around to rough up the outsides and then put them into a roasting tin and left in the cold garage overnight. Next day drizzled EV olive oil over them, lots of salt and some sprigs of thyme and into a hot oven until crispy and brown. Usually my roast potatoes are done same way but not allowed to go cold before cooking and although they always turn out well the ones on christmas day were extra good.

nettie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like Desiree for roasting - they're pretty good all rounders as well

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definately try them again but let them go cold. I found the whole thing a bit stressful
Timing like that isn't my strong point and I don't usually cook that kind of food. I'm more of a stirfry or salad kind of a cook, and planning a roast dinner type thing is like trying to plan a milatery maneovre for me
But having them ready to just bung in the oven would make life easier...

Knowing what other potatoes to use is useful. I chose King Edwards because I knew they'd been ok to go crisp in the oven before, but I'm not that sure what to use what poato for in general -- I usually use Lincolns for mashing or jackets, and that's about all I know

fenwoman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For roasting or boiling my fave spuds are Nadine, Wilja,or Picasso.

mark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience nearly all spuds roast nicely if parboiled before hand!
if you don't par-boil results are not as regular and vary with variety - time potato has been in store etc.

when doing roast dineer i usually put spuds on to boil then get half of them out when part boiled - they on into oven to become roasties
the other half are boiled on to becom or mashed potatoes

oh and theri are always roast parnips which are an absolute must..

and as this year my garden has produced a colossal crop of giant parsnips - parsnips its got to be...

oh and as an aside - if you peel your parsnips before making parsnip wine (usually you don't peel them for wine) and cut them into the right sort of shape and size you can freeze the left over boiled pasnips and then roast them them and they are still lovely!!!
two for the price of one!!

fenwoman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parsnips

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love parsnips here (and all the other root veg I can get my hands on!)

Himself is the roast spud king in our house, and absoloutely insists (darling!) on Maris pipers. nusciance as I have to buy them in the stupid market, but he does do a cracking roast dinner every Sunday, so I give in.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 05 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always par boil mine then drain and lay out in a single layer for a few mins to dry out a bit then dust them with some seasoned flour and put them into the pre heated roasting tins and bast them with the oil and fat. they always seem to come out all right and just as well cos every christmas me and my brother try to beat each other in how many we can eat, I know its just greedy but it is christmas and its a tradition now. (he beat me this year with 13 to my 12 but his 3 year old done well with 6)

lr110td5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy roast potatoes, something that's little known in this part of the universe.
I bought some floury spuds the other day from our local Bioladen which gets them from a former architect who ditched everything to follow up a hobby interest and start a potato farm. They are truly superb by themselves, cooked in their skins ..... himmlich!
Anyway, what I do is parboil them - say 10 mins instead of 20 - and allow them to cool first. This appears to avoid them soaking up the fat at the next stage.
I use goose fat, not too much mind you, just enough to coat them, and bake for about 45 mins at 225°C, turning occasionally. For a change I sometimes dust them with paprika powder shortly before serving.
My biggest problem is getting Yorkshire Pud done at the same time. How I wish for a second oven!

Colin

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My biggest problem is getting Yorkshire Pud done at the same time. How I wish for a second oven!

Colin

Funny you should mention Yorkshire Pud... this is something else I've never made (you can probably tell that roast dinners terrify me ) but after the successful roast potatoes, Mr Hedgewitch has been asking about Yorkshire Pud Not sure my nerves could take that, though [/quote]

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't panic, leave it for a while as you get over the sheer excitement of roast potatoes, then give it a try. I hardly ever make Yorkshire pudding, but it is essential to leave the batter to stand for a while in the fridge. Other can advise better on recipes / methods. As for roast dinners in general, I hung back for years, and then discovered how wonderful and simple they are to do. Go for it ! Start a new thread about it !

mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the secret is you get the meat out and wrap it in foil shiny side in - it wil keep warm a long time!! - leave the veg in to continue roasting and start the yorkshire pud..

then you can get eerything out at the same time

get theroast veg an tators veg out - before yorkshire pud -
first strain off meat juices they are roasting in juices and make gravy (just before yorkshire pud is finished )

then serve the lot

i got a second oven but i never use it making roast dinner!

thos

Location: Jauche, Duchy of Brabant (Bourgogne-ci) and Charolles, Duchy of Burgundy (Bourgogne-ça)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use bintjes for everything. We don't grow them but buy them from a local farm. Although he has put his prices up, at €3 for 10 kg it's not woth growing my own. Terri insists on floury, so although I prefer soapy, we compromise by letting her have her own way.

For roast potatoes we just bring them to the boil then shove them in the oven with a bit of olive oil (Terri rarely allows me anything else). I would prefer them a bit crispier, but they are still very nice.

We had a 3 kg supermarket turkey on Christmas day (€, with all the trimmings. It was so nice we did the same thing again for New Year. Which means my haggis is still in the fridge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive