Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Egg question

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 12 5:48 pm    Post subject: Egg question Reply with quote

We currently have 5 laying hens and a cockerel. The cockerel is a banty breed - given to us when neighbours moved. He is not big enough to "mate" with the gals - he tries but falls off. Anyway I digress, just putting you in the picture. They normally lay their eggs in their henhouse. I have a broody hen - but discouraged her and she now seems OK, however the egg laying process has been disrupte - we did see a rat run away with a broken egg and wonder if this had anything to do with it. Some of the hens have now started laying eggs in hedge. This is very recent so I want some advice on how to encourage normal egg routine. Thanks.

Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 12 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual advice for getting the girls to lay in their nestboxes is to leave them shut in the run (with coop) until past their normal laying time. Lunchtime usually does it.

I would set traps/bait for your egg stealing rats, it's suprising just how many eggs they will knick.

Here it's squirrels, so far have caught 6 in 5 days. The daily egg count has increased quite a bit.

Good luck.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 12 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Leo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive