Northern_Lad wrote:
-... .. .-. -.-. ....

- .- .--. .. -. -- .- .-. -.-. ….

WW

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books I've got re wine making say
when : first 2 weeks of March - but I reckon whenever buds are dark and fat around that time - I do it slightly later up here - 2nd-3rd week of March.
what size : Trunk above the shoulders at ground level to be 9" diameter or greater.
How much to take : a gallon from each tree

How long will that take ? This depends on how fast the sap is rising and what time of day you tap the tree. The books say 24 hrs. But .....

The earlier in the year you tap, the longer it will take to extract a gallon. Sap seems to rise fastest early in the morning. So if you tap in late afternoon, you may easily have a gallon by the following lunchtime. Not always for 24hours is the answer, if you're sticking to the 'only take a gallon' principle. I've tapped a tree for 24 hrs and got 2 gallons, changing an overflowing demijohn in the morning. The tree was fine after, but I wouldn't do that to it again. If you tapped earlier in the year, 24 hrs would not give you a gallon.

I tried tapping a couple of sycamores, but found the yield very disappointing (a couple of pints in 24 hours) - anyone else had a go at this ?

Definitely worth doing - the wine is fantastic. The sap itself has a very odd non-taste and has a bluish cast in the light.

judith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
Definitely worth doing - the wine is fantastic. The sap itself has a very odd non-taste and has a bluish cast in the light.

Has anyone tried boiling the sap down to make syrup?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it takes a far larger number of gallons of birch sap to make syrup than it would take of maple sap (already quite a lot needed for that). I think it might be 40 gallons of birch sap for 1 gallon of syrup, or maybe more. I'd rather have the wine, myself ! Given that most of us don't have access to that many tappable trees.

judith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. I really fancied making some syrup, but it sounds as though my two trees would barely give enough sap to fill a small bottle.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
I tried tapping a couple of sycamores, but found the yield very disappointing (a couple of pints in 24 hours) - anyone else had a go at this ?

I have a huge sycamore in our garden, about as large as they get I think, so I could try tapping it. Can you make a sycamore sap wine out of it then?

Also, when plugging I saw good old Ray Mears tapping a birch tree and he cut a small fresh branch of the tree, stripped the bark and made a plug which just fitted and he lightly hammered it home and trimmed off the wood still sticking out. Does that sound about right?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did he make the thing from to go over the wound where he'd cut the branch to plug the hole?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
gil wrote:
I tried tapping a couple of sycamores, but found the yield very disappointing (a couple of pints in 24 hours) - anyone else had a go at this ?.

gil wrote:

This was supposed to refer to birch sap wine. Original post not clear. Sorry.

Treacodactyl wrote:
I have a huge sycamore in our garden, about as large as they get I think, so I could try tapping it. Can you make a sycamore sap wine out of it then?

Also, when plugging I saw good old Ray Mears tapping a birch tree and he cut a small fresh branch of the tree, stripped the bark and made a plug which just fitted and he lightly hammered it home and trimmed off the wood still sticking out. Does that sound about right?

Think my first post was a bit misleading - it's birch sap wine that is fantastic and bluish. I never got enough sap out of my sycamores to do anything with it separately.

So yes, you can make sycamore sap wine, and it should be OK - your tree sounds much bigger than any of mine.

Don't know about Ray Mears' method. I stopped the holes with a plain cork demijohn bung, hammered in with my rubber corking mallet. Worked OK. I used cork on the grounds that it was a kind of tree-like substance. A branhc of the actual tree sounds good too. Bit like tissue transplants - get the best match. (?)

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a pic

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pls cld someone resize that pic to sensible proportions ? ta.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 06 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
pls cld someone resize that pic to sensible proportions ? ta.

OK.... Tis done.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have half a dozen sycamores, including two monsters. Considering birch can be thin on the ground over here I'm going to give them a try.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any acer or walnut relative can be tapped too, thats hickories, pecans etc.

From memory the trunk needs to be 14" diameter to start tapping

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yum

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Any acer or walnut relative can be tapped too, thats hickories, pecans etc.

From memory the trunk needs to be 14" diameter to start tapping

What is walnut sap like? Any good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive