links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Smart phones?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 8:35 pm    Post subject: Smart phones? Reply with quote

I have been offered first refusal on an iphone by my sister, who is upgrading hers to whatever the next number is. I am interested in the whole smart-phone thing - but is an iphone necessarily the best way to go? What are the alternative options?

She wants £130 for it - is that reasonable? It has 32 gig of memory.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want it for? How much will it cost a month once you've got it?

chez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can use my existing package, which is sim-only and add on a data bundle for three or four pounds a month, and just swap the sim over. I pay £7.50 a month for unlimited texts and two hours 'talk time' at the moment.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
I can use my existing package, which is sim-only and add on a data bundle for three or four pounds a month, and just swap the sim over. I pay £7.50 a month for unlimited texts and two hours 'talk time' at the moment.

Does that pay for all the flashy apps and stuff?

chez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how much I use it I think. I'll most likely use it for fb and email more than the flashy apps. There's a kindle reading app, too, apparently. I think a lot of those are free and you pay additionally to download whizzy ones like tomtom etc..

I'm a bit at a loss really - I haven't had a new phone for nearly a decade. My current one is so old it can probably be classed at retro. As I believe your son may have pointed out on occasion .

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old's the phone and battery, how long do the batteries last (as in how many charge/discharge cycles do they provide) and how much would a new one cost?

I've got a basic smart phone, a Samsung Galaxy Mini for under £100 including free data for a year, and that seems to do all I need : decent camera, internet access, email, phone etc but I'm not fashionable so don't care about iPhones.

The main question though, is it water proof?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell what's a car and what's a phone from the names these days

Being waterproof is good for both.

chez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
How old's the phone and battery, how long do the batteries last (as in how many charge/discharge cycles do they provide) and how much would a new one cost?

I've got a basic smart phone, a Samsung Galaxy Mini for under £100 including free data for a year, and that seems to do all I need : decent camera, internet access, email, phone etc but I'm not fashionable so don't care about iPhones.

The main question though, is it water proof?

I will ask her how old it is and do some battery research. I should think she probably upgraded to it when it came out - she likes to keep up

I don't want to change providers - we have been with the utility warehouse for yonks and have other things through them so get quite a good deal. They do various bundles that mean I could have a smart-phone added to my contract. But that would mean higher monthly outgoings and I would rather spend the money on a phone in a lump sum - it will work better for our budget.

Waterproof not so important; it's Arvo who keeps dropping them down the toilet, not me

vegplot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds expensive for second hand iPhone (I think the whole Apple thing is overrated).

chez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will probably be able to get it for a lot less than that if I want it. She doesn't hate me so much these days .

I take your point, though, I will go and have a look round at some others.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to get the ocarina app.

Effie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An iPhone SIM is not the same size as a regular SIM card, it's a micro version with less plastic around it. However, not that I've tried but I'm told you can take a stanley knife to the surround of a regular one and resize it to the micro version.

DawnMK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of those i phone things hate it hate it, it was the upgrade from our provider, half the time it sits in my bag out of charge, only want a phone for calls and odd text, told hubby I didnt want it dont like all that touch screen stuff prefer to have buttons to press

chez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effie wrote:
An iPhone SIM is not the same size as a regular SIM card, it's a micro version with less plastic around it. However, not that I've tried but I'm told you can take a stanley knife to the surround of a regular one and resize it to the micro version.

Mel said she did that with hers. If she can do it, I can

chez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 12 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Don't forget to get the ocarina app.

I'm thinking that comes pre-installed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive