Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Trans gender hen?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 12 7:10 pm    Post subject: Trans gender hen? Reply with quote

I have a 2 1/2 yr old hen who is moulting, & when I looked at her today, she has new tail feathers comming through. The new ones are like my cock's tail feathers, not the usual hen tail feathers, ie long arching, & the same width all the way along.
No other 'cock' characteristics showing, & no wierd noises like crowing.

Not sure if it's relevent, but she survived a fox attack several months back. Lost her tail & bum feathers, and all under one wing. Couple of punctures under the wing. Feathers all grew back, but not her tail, or on the top of her back.

She's been a good layer & is bottom of the pecking order.

Anyone know what's oing on?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 12 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mum has a trans gender chicken, started off as a hen, but is now more or less a cockeral, (though a slightly camp one if truth is told).

Leo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 12 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting!

It will be interesting to see if she developes any other 'cock' characteristics. Will have to keep an eye out for neck/saddle feathers, she hasn't lost the old ones yet. Of course I may have to wait till Jan/Feb to see if she ever lays again.

Actuall, it's a bit odd, because the new tail feathers are the right colour for a hen (Amrocks, so autosexing), not for a cock.

Perhaps Chez will see this, I know she's had Amrocks too, so might have come accross this?

12Bore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 12 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have an image of Kenneth Williams going "Cock a doodle-doo-er matron."

bimini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 12 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading in the AA Book of British Birds that in birds only one ovary develops to produce eggs. If this becomes damaged for any reason the other one develops into a testicle. I guess that the 'new' testicle then produces male hormones and so affects plumage.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 12 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimini wrote:
I remember reading in the AA Book of British Birds that in birds only one ovary develops to produce eggs. If this becomes damaged for any reason the other one develops into a testicle. I guess that the 'new' testicle then produces male hormones and so affects plumage.

Can it actually do spermatogenesis? I know their X&Y system works differently from ours. To be fair the AA Book of British birds may not go into that much detail.

bimini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 12 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Jamanda!
Just had a search and found this:
https://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww32eiv.htm

and this:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.1090300504/abstract

Mr O

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 12 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens frequently.

chez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 12 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it happen before - but never with an Amrock. (I have given mine up, Leo ).

bulworthy project

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 12 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an old english pheasant fowl hen grow spurs and a Light Sussex do a full sex change so that it looked like a proper cockeral and start mounting the other hens.

Leo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 12 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How interesting, I had no idea it was so complicated. Will have to keep an eye on her. She is almost done laying for this year, but gave me an egg last week.

Actually, forgot to mention that quite a few of the other hens have small spurs on one or both feet., although they also have 'hen' tail feathers.

Hope she's not done laying altogether, she's one of my best. Will see what her new hackle/saddle feathers look like when they come through.

Perhaps I will end up with a butch hen that doesn't lay!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive