Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
My first salmon

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 3:08 am    Post subject: My first salmon Reply with quote

Pacific chum salmon

(after cleaning)

and after the lodge chef did his magic

served with....

(it's amazing)

and eaten in front of....

....perfect.

Almost as perfect as the real fishing attraction for me....

the biggest fish our group caught in the week (neither of those people is me I should stress)

wallpaper for the salmon fishing location wasn't bad either....

even the ferry ride to get there was good....

elsewhere the grizzlies were also fishing...

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic stuff! Did you get to eat the sturgeon too?

I assume you were somewhere in the Pacific Northwest and I hope you're not affected by the earthquake!

tai haku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Boy wrote:

I assume you were somewhere in the Pacific Northwest and I hope you're not affected by the earthquake!

No, all the sturgeon were catch and release - I think in the states they do keep them but in BC where I was it was all C&R. I don't know the legal position but ethically the fish are still recovering from devastating overfishing and are slow growing - some of the fish caught are older than me! - so it doesn't feel like something i'd ever be keen to keep. That said I've heard sturgeon is delicious.

I left the day before the earthquake so I'm not affected but have no idea how bad it was for the areas I was in.

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tai haku wrote:
Northern Boy wrote:

No, all the sturgeon were catch and release - I think in the states they do keep them but in BC where I was it was all C&R. I don't know the legal position but ethically the fish are still recovering from devastating overfishing and are slow growing - some of the fish caught are older than me! - so it doesn't feel like something i'd ever be keen to keep. That said I've heard sturgeon is delicious.

I left the day before the earthquake so I'm not affected but have no idea how bad it was for the areas I was in.

It is indeed delicious. In California there is a very strictly limited fishery for them and I was fortunate enough to get one. It was fantastic.

I have always wanted to go fishing in BC/Alaska -were you there on holiday?

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb pictures Tai and a wonderful looking fish.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasty looking fish, did you catch it or a lure or fly?

I though I had problems with seals, porpoises and the odd over friendly Staffie but at least there's no sign of bears about here.

I'm also intrigued by the sturgeon, are they the same fish you can buy in the UK for ponds? They look similar and I know the ones you can buy start off the size of a gold fish but can grow to several feet but I didn't know they may be good eating...

tai haku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Tasty looking fish, did you catch it or a lure or fly?

I though I had problems with seals, porpoises and the odd over friendly Staffie but at least there's no sign of bears about here.

I'm also intrigued by the sturgeon, are they the same fish you can buy in the UK for ponds? They look similar and I know the ones you can buy start off the size of a gold fish but can grow to several feet but I didn't know they may be good eating...

lure. trolled in the ocean.

they aren't the same species as the ones you can get in the UK but are very similar (essentially a bigger version). Some of the uk bred species like the sterlet stay pretty small. others do not. being able to be certain what you're being sold isn't easy though. As far as taste goes I wonder how much is attributable to clean river living.....

12Bore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic photos, and fishing!

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! That looks like an all-round amazing holiday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive