Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Gaper clams?

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 12 8:03 pm    Post subject: Gaper clams? Reply with quote

Anyone had any luck finding these? Apparently they're common in the UK but I haven't heard of or seen anyone diggin for them?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 12 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of them. Is it a regional name for something else?

crofter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 12 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would just call them clams? If so, they are very common, easy to dig and lovely to eat. Similar habitat to cockles, but usually need a lower tide and to dig a bit deeper. Often see them squirt as the siphon disappears.

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 12 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're the biggest 'clams' we have, complete with siphon etc. Mya arenia apparently.

Roughly how deep Crofter? Thinking about it now I have seen people digging at low tide when I've been out collecting razor clams. I always assumed they were just making hard work for themselves (or digging lugworm for bait) but there are gaper shells all over that beach.

crofter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 12 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about smaller clams, Venerupis pullastra or Venerupis senegalensis (I think) but the Gaper clams are not much deeper - siphon is about 4 inches long and the shell another 4 inches approx so 8 - 10 inches below the surface. It's very easy to misjudge the angle and spear the shell, but practice makes perfect...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive